[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Contrasting Novels, Plays, Screenplays : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Contrasting Novels, Plays, Screenplays

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
DrG2
Colonel

Contrasting Novels, Plays, Screenplays

Postby DrG2 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:26 pm

In a screenwriting book I'm reading right now, the author (Mark Evan Schwartz) says that:
Novels are about characters thinking.
Plays are about characters talking.
Screenplays are about characters doing things.

I don't think he came up with that himself, but I wondered what you thought of it in general terms. Can you have a scene in a novel that reads like the witty banter of an Oscar Wilde play? Can you have true spectacle in novels?

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: Contrasting Novels, Plays, Screenplays

Postby TerryRodgers » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:44 pm

I've always wondered about screenplays and movie adaptation. How much of the screenplay is followed, and how much of it really becomes the actor or actress making it their own?

cynfranks
Sergeant

Postby cynfranks » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:34 pm

I've heard this differently:

Plays are dialog driven.
Screenplays are image driven.
Novels are thought driven.

I used to have a t-shirt that read:
Theatre is art.
Film is entertainment.
TV is furniture.

I know, not really the same thing.

I think good storytelling is good storytelling. You have to take into consideration the strengths and weaknesses of each medium and tell the best story you can. The story dictates what you can and can't do.

Read Thornton Wilder's "On Playwriting." He is brilliant on this subject. ("On Playwriting," is an essay in Playwrights on Playwriting. I've not seen it anyplace else.)

Great topic though. I can't wait to read the other replies.
Ask yourself, "What would Dickens do?"

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:56 pm

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:36 pm

cynfranks
Sergeant

Postby cynfranks » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:35 pm

In recent years, I've read a number of books, mostly in the YA genre, that have been affected by the film industry. They read like word movies. But this isn't a bad thing. Many have been very well written. However, I can't remember one of them. Interesting.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:21 pm

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:15 pm

I write almost entirely dialogue-driven narratives, so I can't really buy into this at all.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:25 pm

followup question. Assuming novels are driven by characters' thoughts, can very objective narrators be effective? or, how frequently must the narrator dip into the thoughts and feelings of a character?

cynfranks
Sergeant

Postby cynfranks » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:11 pm

Last edited by cynfranks on Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Next

Return to Conversation question