[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Nobel and Pulitzer Winners : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Nobel and Pulitzer Winners

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
DrG2
Colonel

Nobel and Pulitzer Winners

Postby DrG2 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:13 pm

I pick up (typically used) books at a local bookstore when the price has been discounted. It allows me to read books I wouldn't look for, which is a good experience.

On the $1.99 shelves are Steven Millhauser's Pulitzer Winning "Martin Dressler . . ." and Orhan Pamuk's Nobel-winning "Snow".
I went to Amazon to find some reviews and both of those books had two reader reviews a piece.

I'd guess # of reviews is fairly well related to # of sales, so this surprised me. I have read some award-winning novels that I liked and had sold well.

Any thoughts?
How would you feel if you won a national award and couldn't outsell your advance?
Is it hard to write a book that can win such an award and also sell well?

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: Nobel and Pulitzer Winners

Postby shadowwalker » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:52 pm

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:00 am

There's bound to be enough of a Pulitzer bump that even in the short-term, and looking at the issue purely as one of money, author and Publisher were fine with the sales. Every library in the English speaking world would have at least one copy, for a time it was in every airport bookshop, they did fine.

Looking slightly beyond that, prestige is not an insignificant thing in itself. Selling books to readers is the end product of publishing, but running a successful business depends on more than just sales to customers. Having acclaim for the quality of your product can influence everything from the quality of your intern applicant pool to retention of key personnel.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:11 am

Martin Dressler has almost 5,000 ratings and over 300 reviews on Goodreads. Snow has just under 20,000 ratings and over 2,000 reviews. Not too shabby, really.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:59 am

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:02 am

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:52 pm

since both prizes include a nice [pulitzer] and huge [nobel] amount of cash, plus priceless prestige, i don't see that scanty amazon reviews or book sales as being much of a downer, can you? :roll:
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:27 pm

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:56 am

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

James A. Ritchie