[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Does Becoming a Writer Turn You Bitter and Judgmental? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Does Becoming a Writer Turn You Bitter and Judgmental?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
DrG2
Colonel

Does Becoming a Writer Turn You Bitter and Judgmental?

Postby DrG2 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:54 pm

Is it harder to just read a book for entertainment?
Do you wish the author had done things differently?

robjvargas
Captain

Re: Does Becoming a Writer Turn You Bitter and Judgmental?

Postby robjvargas » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:32 pm

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:50 am

Absolutely not.

I was bitter and judgmental long before I wrote my first sentence of fiction. :D

I definitely read differently now, with more attention to detail. Actually, that's not entirely true. I've edited a LOT (words in the millions, certainly) over the past 20 years, looking for the slightest problem. Because of that, grammar and syntax errors have always stuck out at me, so it's not that kind of detail I notice more. It's more the usage, flow, characterizations, dialogue, POV shifts, etc. But it doesn't make me any harsher. It does make me wonder how the hell some things ever got published, though.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:54 am

I had to check legal documents for errors over several years and now spelling mistakes leap out at me when I'm reading. That definitely spoils the reading but it makes me exasperated, not bitter or judgmental.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:05 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:06 pm

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:12 pm

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:17 am

I still get lost in a good read. The more I write, however, the more I appreciate what it takes from the writer to have pulled me into that world so successfully. So I think I've become less judgemental, & more curious about how the author got me this far along before I noticed some minor error or perhaps even bigger flaw. I only get bitter when I see someone else getting published or doing a better, more successful job with some idea that I've had, but didn't do enough with. I'm just naturally a jealous girl, so that's the kind of thing that makes me bitter.

LossOfControl
Private E-1

Postby LossOfControl » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:10 pm

Bitter? Slightly.
Judgemental? No.

I won't bore you with the long answer but what I will say is that writers, as people, are generally open-minded.

Return to Conversation question