[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Can you set out to write for MG and adults in the same novel : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Can you set out to write for MG and adults in the same novel

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
DrG2
Colonel

Can you set out to write for MG and adults in the same novel

Postby DrG2 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:10 pm

I have an idea for a novel that would involve 12-year-old boys as the main characters. It would address how kids' lives have become over-planned by parents, and the converse, motivating kids to be adventurous and creative. And I'd like it to be interesting for both kids and adults. (I'll have to come up with some novel kid-friendly curse words/phrases.)

I know lots of adults have read Harry Potter, but I think it was intended for children.

I've read books that were marketed for kids, but which seemed more suited for adults.

Are there many examples of novels that clearly were intended for readers from 10 years on up from the get-go?

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Can you set out to write for MG and adults in the same n

Postby mammamaia » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:51 pm

i'm not at all sure one can do that on purpose and succeed at it...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

jj3ffr3y
Private E-1

Postby jj3ffr3y » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:01 pm

This could work if you do a sort of split-narrative to give the kids point of view to adult readers as well as the other way around. The trick would be striking a balance in your prose to keep the two audiences engaged without 1) boring the older readers and 2) losing the youngsters.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:39 pm

Lord of the Flies is read by Jr. High Students all over the country, but I doubt it was intended for children, although the characters are children.

Old Man and the Sea is also read by Jr. High Students, in spite of the MC being an old man. I guess its short length and reasonably accessible vocabulary are why it has been selected for younger readers. Similarly for Of Mice and Men.

I think I can write a novel that will be interesting to young readers, at least boys (the MCs will all be adolescent males). The issues will be of interest to adults as well - - particularly parents. Maybe there are two things - - writing a novel that will be appropriate for a broad age range, and marketing it to both children and adults. The marketing will probably be largely beyond the author's control.

jj3ffr3y
Private E-1

Postby jj3ffr3y » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:48 pm

Well, maybe you could target parents of adolescents in such a way as to make the folks want to show the book to their kids.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:13 pm

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:23 pm

I've read a lot about how more and more adults are reading YA. Now the trend is adults reading more MG so you might wind up with that kind of audience without trying. I've read Wonder by R.J. Palacio and The Peculiar by Stefan Bachmann (The author is still in his teens) this year and those are MG reads that adults have read and enjoyed and are recommending to others.

I guess I'm saying try not to overthink it. Just do it and see how it all works out.

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:27 pm

When I first read your post Lord of the Flies and Lean on Me (although I think that was just a film) came to mind. I also liked The Graveyard Book and Ender's Game. Does that help?

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:05 pm

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:18 pm

hmm... I did not know that. thanks.

I think you can write a book featuring 12 year olds that would appeal to a mass audience.

Next

Return to Conversation question