[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Modern Era Classics : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Modern Era Classics

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
DrG2
Colonel

Re: Modern Era Classics

Postby DrG2 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:56 pm

It's hard for me to get past my favorite writers, like Annie Proulx and Joyce Carol Oates and . . . to be very objective. There were several on the linked list that I thought were only OK, and I have a hard time thinking a graphic novel is a "classic", but maybe I'm just too old.

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:39 pm

I think classic is in the 'eye of the beholder.' NY Times Book Review people probably have an entirely different list than say People magazine as to what they consider modern day classics. Classics align with your particular likes. Of course a few do rise through the ether and enter that hallowed ground of universal classic regardless of whether a segment of people don't particularly care for them. In other words, I don't think there is a particular spelled out criteria for deeming a work, 'a classic.'

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:28 pm

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:42 pm

We could nibble away at that premise and say that all those are judgments and opinions, determined by whom, I do not know and have no basis in fact. Listen to the music of the Sex Pistols on Never Mind the Bullocks, it's considered a classic in the rock genre while others would dismiss it as garbage and one can listen to a piece by Wagner and think the same. Sure these works are deemed classics but to the eye of the beholder, they are what that one persons particular values align with. However, rather than that, I totally understand the premise behind the defined definitions of the word.

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:44 pm

Previous

Return to Conversation question