[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Classics be Damned : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

The Classics be Damned

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Re: The Classics be Damned

Postby Brien Sz » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:28 pm

That's funny...

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:45 pm

I have a daughter that does not enjoy reading at all. Seriously, she has no imagination. She had to do a book project in high school and picked Mark Twain. Now he is her favorite author.

My youngest daughter tried to read Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. She said it was so boring that she tried reading it in an English accent to make it more interesting. But it didn't work. I can't blame her for her struggles. She's only 11. But we do love Jane Austen in my house. I have 5 daughters. It is a girl thing.

jj3ffr3y
Private E-1

Postby jj3ffr3y » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:21 am

During my grade school days I read Jules Verne, H. G. Wells, Mark Twain, and other adventures from the school library. Later years I was at the newstand paperback shelf thumbing through sci-fi from Robert A. Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, etc. I had a pretty respectable stack of comic books going there for awhile--superheroes from Marvel and D.C. Comics, none of that "kid stuff" Archie and the like for me, no sir.

The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogy consumed most of summer vacation one year.

These days I'm reading to feed the beast that wants to write down some things and maybe even complete a story or three. Stephen King's "On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft", and Tim O'Brien's "The Things They Carried" stand out for me although each for different reasons. Since I've decided to learn how to write well, I hesitate to pick up the literary classics for fear of forming bad habits like telling rather than showing, and excessive use of passive voice...on the other hand, that's what revising is for, isn't it?

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:15 am

jj3ffr3y
Private E-1

Postby jj3ffr3y » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:43 pm

cynfranks
Sergeant

Postby cynfranks » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:51 pm