Kennedy

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
LilliesCarol
Colonel

Kennedy

Postby LilliesCarol » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:40 am

It is hard to believe that fifty years has elapsed since that frightful day of the Kennedy assassination. How many remember this and where were you? It was during my lunch hour that I heard it on the car radio. I was making to turn and can still picture the street and that 53 Plymouth I drove at the time.

As for all the theories as who the culprit was, it is my belief and has been since that frightful time that Johnson had much to do with this dastardly deed. Lyndon was about to be impeached for some huge wrong-doing with the oil vats along the Jersey shore. Lyndon was a powerful man in the senate and had been the whip holding sway over many political dealings before becoming the VP. It is well-known that the Kennedy brothers and Lyndon were at great odds over many political issues, due to Lyndon's sway over congress. When he became President, and he made damn sure he was sworn in on the plane to show all America that he was now president, with power to not impeach him. Within two week's time, the entire impeachment talk was hushed by Bobbie Baker taking the entire blame and going to prison for the mess of the vat's not being filled with oil, but with water and oil only on top of the first several feet. The reason for this was due to the oil sticks used for testing to make sure there was oil never went to the bottom, but only a few feet into the vat. Johnson made mega bucks over the non-fill of the oil and collected handsomely for the dirty dealings. To THIS DAY, no one will convince me that Oswald acted alone and that Johnson did not have some dirty little hand in the dealings to save his arsh from being impeached. He was a power-hungry man with a huge TEXASS ego.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

robjvargas
Captain

Re: Kennedy

Postby robjvargas » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:30 pm

Remember the saying about being only a twinkle in someone's eye? I'll leave the details at that.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:01 pm

I was too young too. But my maiden name is Kennedy so I've had a name connection and have always been very aware of the Kennedy's because of the name I share with them. Growing up in the 70's kids would ask me if I was JFK's daughter. So there was still an awareness back then but being a silly kid, I wasn't flattered at all. I was quite irritated over that. All of my Kennedy family members are in Connecticut and I have wondered how closely related I was. I didn't grow up there. All I know is I could be, or I probably am, but it would be pretty far back.

The only thing I could figure that has happened in my lifetime that might compare to that kind of shock is 9/11.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:40 pm

i wasn't impressed with kennedy [any of them], as i was a reagan republican back then [having met him and worked to get him elected as governor], but my husband did have the funeral on tv while my 5 stairsteps were around and the next day i found 3 of the older 4 [#5 was still in a crib] gathered solemnly around the striped area rug in the family room, holding flowers they'd pulled from the front yard...

the rug had something long and bumpy under it that gave me a start when i asked what they were doing and it suddenly raised up!... the upper end fell back to reveal my only son... asked again what the heck they were doing, he piped up proudly with, 'we're playing funeral, mommy... i'm the president!'... my son's name was jon, so i guess he was doubly appropriate to be plaing the corpse... besides, the older 2 girls said they thought lying on the floor under a rug was 'gross'... but their brother playing dead didn't phase them...

for the record, i named him 'jon' [no 'h'] after the oh-so-handsome explorer, jon lindbergh, not jfk, as i was so often accused of
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Return to Conversation question