[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Blasting a favorite poet : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Blasting a favorite poet

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
kerrymichaelwood
Captain

Blasting a favorite poet

Postby kerrymichaelwood » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:59 am

This morning I read a newspaper review that dumped on the poetry of a man whose output always set me roaring with laughter. ". . .he's out . . .to unseat America's best-known poet of the 1940s, that purveyor of genial tripe Ogden Nash, and all the stale mediocrity that he represents." Does that upset anyone else? I love Ogden!

kerrymichaelwood

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: Blasting a favorite poet

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:16 am

I love Nash. There's always some idiot to tries to draw attention to himself by blasting someone with far more talent than he'll ever have. Seriously, who's even going to remember that reviewer five years after he dies?

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:37 am

I am willing to bet the person writing that has never attempted anything comparable. That "genial tripe" took an impressive amount of skill. Making something genuinely funny through droll humor within the confines of poetic verse is not something to be scoffed at. Though, done brilliantly, it can look easy.

I do the same thing, yelling at hitters on the TV for missing a 100 MPH fastball "by a mile" when I'm watching baseball. The difference is, I do it with the full understanding that I am delusional about my own ability to do any better and it only looks relatively easy because they are so good at it.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:01 pm

i've a pash for nash and his fun/funny poems [or delectable doggerel, if you will]...

who's the cretin doing that nash-bash?

and why should anyone give a bleep what he thinks of a guy whose work has delighted generations and will continue to do so long after the critical creep's bones have turned to dust?
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:02 pm

I like Nash, but context is important in these things. If the author was responding to someone who said Nash was one of the greatest poets of all time . . .

Of course, I'm a dinosaur as I like poetry that has meter and rhythm and lyrical quality, and most of the stuff I read in literary journals seems more like a shopping list.

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:01 am

I remember buying the paperback of Ogden Nash at the New York airport to read on the plane back to Milwaukee. It was so funny that at times I would twitter out loud much to the surprise of the man seated next to me. So much so, that he inquired what I was reading. I showed him and we both shared the rest of the trip reading and giggling over Ogden's wonderful sense of humor. I got off in Milwaukee and he continued to Minneapolis. I wonder what ever happened to that man? I haven't thought about that precious moment in time until you brought up Ogden Nash' name. Anyway thanks for that memory.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:02 am

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:21 am

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:40 pm

he was not only a gifted poet, but a fair shake as a philosopher!
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:47 pm

Next

Return to Conversation question