[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
How long do you shelve a novel before editing? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How long do you shelve a novel before editing?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
DrG2
Colonel

How long do you shelve a novel before editing?

Postby DrG2 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:43 pm

I've heard the advice to put your novel away when you finish your first draft and wait for weeks or months before revising/editing.

how long do you wait?

MookyMcD
Captain

Re: How long do you shelve a novel before editing?

Postby MookyMcD » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:19 pm

A month, give or take a couple of days.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:26 pm

a few days to a couple of weeks, depending on what else i was working on at the time...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:54 pm

I edit/rewrite each page as I go, so no time at all. My guess is that most of the advice to put something away for weeks or months comes from writers who aren't selling, or who never work on a deadline.

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:33 pm

Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:35 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:13 pm

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:29 pm

Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

Metilda
Corporal

Postby Metilda » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:47 pm

mickeysiskel
Sergeant First Class

Postby mickeysiskel » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:06 pm

There is absolutely room for people to use different approaches on this. By the time I work my way around to editing, I am far removed from the author who wrote that first chapter (and rewrote it twice) a year and a half before, so I see no problem in digging into the editing right away.

Next

Return to Conversation question