[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How long does it take YOU to write a short story? : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How long does it take YOU to write a short story?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: How long does it take YOU to write a short story?

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:06 pm

Funny, but every short story I've sold for $800 or more took five hours or less to go from initial idea to submission stage. The stories I never managed to sell anywhere generally took from four days to a week to write. One took two weeks, but that hasn't happened since. Four days is unusual for me, and a week is extremely rare. If it takes more than four days, I probably won't sell it.

The first short story I wrote sold to Far West Magazine. It took two days, or about twelve to fourteen hours from start to submission, and was, I don't know, somewhere around 7,000 words, I think. That one seemed to set the tone.

I'd say ninety percent of the stories I've sold took two days, or roughly twelve hours, to write.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:22 pm

back in my old life, when i wrote short stories, i never kept track of how long it took to write them... or anything, for that matter... and i still don't time my writing, or keep track of how many words i write per hour/day/whatever, as i think consider it an exercise in futility and have to assume it inhibits creativity in some, at least...

that said, i don't think it ever took more than a couple of days to knock out a longish one [over 5k], probably took only a few hours for the shorter ones, from start to polished final draft...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Metilda
Corporal

Postby Metilda » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:58 pm

On average - my short stories are 5,000 - 9,000 words. If I have the idea completely worked out in my head, and have a fair amount of energy, I can sit and write it out in one day.

AibreanShowers
Corporal

Postby AibreanShowers » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:02 pm

Metilda, I hope one day to get to that point, going to have to sharpen a lot of pencils in the meantime.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:53 pm

FallenAnya
Private E-1

Postby FallenAnya » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:43 am

Hi,

For sharing, it takes me about a week if I'm so into it and if time permits. But since my job is a bit demanding, it usually takes more than 2 weeks. :oops:
Also, it depends on the language that I'm using when writing.

LossOfControl
Private E-1

Postby LossOfControl » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:13 pm

I've only ever written one short story. It was for my AS-level English Language coursework.
It took weeks because every time I handed it in, my teacher found something new to correct. It was worth it in the end because I got a good mark.

kamalayka
Private E-2

Postby kamalayka » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:12 pm

It takes as long as it takes.

And who cares if takes weeks or months to write one story? Would you rather be known as the guy who wrote awesone stories, or the guy who wrote "a lot"?

Einstein may've been a lot slower than his colleagues when it came to equations, but history ain't never remembered the guy that done gone'n beat the stopwatch.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:53 pm

Last edited by TerryRodgers on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:14 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question