[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How long does it take YOU to write a short story? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How long does it take YOU to write a short story?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
AibreanShowers
Corporal

How long does it take YOU to write a short story?

Postby AibreanShowers » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:26 pm

I just wondered, because I just finished one (unless I look at it again) It took me about 3 weeks and was less than 1300 words. I feel like at this rate, I may as well forget about ever writing a novel. I know everyone works at their own pace, I'm just interested to hear people's thoughts. If anyone says two days, I'm snapping all my pencils in half! Thanks so much for your input.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: How long does it take YOU to write a short story?

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:48 pm

AibreanShowers
Corporal

Postby AibreanShowers » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:51 pm

....Snap....

AibreanShowers
Corporal

Postby AibreanShowers » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:02 pm

Initially, I came up with roughly 1100 words, it's the editing, more editing and more editing that is slowing me up :x The story comes easily at first but then I get bogged down, maybe too much?

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:05 pm

It gets easier with practice. The more you write, the easier it gets. I spent over a month working a short story over. I didn't write it in one sitting either. But it was also a scary story and giant step out of my comfort zone. I worked pretty hard on it and sent it out and it got accepted in the anthology I wrote it for. I think it could be beginners luck because I have written a couple more. I produced them much faster and they are still circulating the submission circuit right now.

The more I work on writing, the faster I produce a finished product. I have several complete novels right now. Some have taken me a few years to write, and the latest one a couple months.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:02 pm

I'm SO SLOW. I can have most of a short short story (700-1000 words) roughed in within a day or two, but the revising can take much, much longer. The thing that usually takes longest is figuring out how to get from the "almost" end to the "actual" end of the story. There's always this foggy, dark chasm of unknown territory to cross between two points that I can see clearly. Sometimes I use stilts to get across...

AibreanShowers
Corporal

Postby AibreanShowers » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:44 pm

Thank you lmgilbert and laycrew, I so appreciate your answers

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:38 pm

Most of my short stories are written in one sitting. Sometimes it takes two days. Then potentially days of revision.

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:13 am

Sometimes short stories come to me in a flash and I can do them in one sitting. Like the first time I ever wrote a short story, it took two hours sitting in my back yard. I submitted it to an editor and it was sold. That doesn't happen all the time, but it sure was a confidence booster.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

AibreanShowers
Corporal

Postby AibreanShowers » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:24 am

Wow, lilliescarol, I'm impressed, and a little envious! Thanks for sharing that :)

Next

Return to Conversation question