[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Writing High Fantasy : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Writing High Fantasy

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: Writing High Fantasy

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:43 pm

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:49 pm

I think we heard you the first time...

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:14 pm

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:42 pm

I'll have to take your word for that.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:53 pm

MookyMcD
Captain

Postby MookyMcD » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:53 pm

To a casual observer, they appear to be the same post (which is a comment on content). They are, for the most part, the same post (which is also a comment on content). It is somewhat presumptuous of you to think everyone should reread 500 words of old content to see where you have made changes and/or additions (which is on the border between a comment on content and a personal comment about the poster, but is not "irrelevant"). I did, however, stop short of name calling.

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:07 pm

I read both and my only response is that, at this point, we should probably just agree to disagree, while in many ways actually agreeing but from a different perspective ;)
Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:20 pm

I have run into a bunch of people that plan,plan, plan their world, even creating a website with encyclopedic detail. They never got around to writing much. Even Brandon Sanderson, who strives to have a workable magic system, doesn't do a lot of pre-writing world building.

but whatever works for you, works for you.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:42 am

Peter J Story
Private E-1

Postby Peter J Story » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:04 am

What helps me in all of my writing is to sit down and create the core rules for my world. E.g., the narrator can only see through this character's eyes, etc. I've found that the more the setting contains elements unusual to this world, the more core rules are needed to ensure that we're not stepping outside of the given world. So with high fantasy, I will write far more of these. That being said, I tend to write those core rules down in an hour or so, then get to the story--I'm usually too excited. So I would suggest not going overboard, but coming up with a decent number of lines and forcing yourself to color inside of them. But make sure they exist somewhere outside of your head, as I've found that it's a huge help to go back and read them every week or so. And you can always add to them as you write the story.
"Grak hates olives. Truly. If there were one point of supreme importance to understand about his habits or character, this would be it."

Read more:

Previous

Return to Conversation question