[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
WRITERS GROUPS : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

WRITERS GROUPS

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
LilliesCarol
Colonel

WRITERS GROUPS

Postby LilliesCarol » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:43 pm

Do you belong to a writer's group? This morning I attended our local group meeting. Our leader pulled out an envelope and then passed around a check for everyone to look at. None of us could believe our eyes. The check was from an attorney's office in the amount of $77,046. Yes, you read that correctly. It was donated by a long man who belonged years ago. Apparently he had no heirs and felt he wanted to encourage young writers. The money is designated to have a yearly local/state writers contest. You never know where your good is coming from, so join your local writer's group and have some fun.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: WRITERS GROUPS

Postby TerryRodgers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:51 pm

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:38 pm

:oops: :lol: AND JUST THINK I RED THISOvERTOFINDANYERRORS. Do you think I was still thinking about the money? I don't know what a long man is either. I guess I was supposed to say a man who belonged long ago? Oh well, you get the idea, as she slinked quietly into the sunset.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:05 pm

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:25 pm

i figured you meant 'lonely' and slipped...

anyway... WOW!

so, who's going to set up the contest and run it?
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:23 pm

For those of you wondering, like Maia, the group has done this in the past on a limited yearly basis. As money ran dry, the practice was discontinued. We believe that is why the person left this money to the group. When we know exactly what the stipulations are according to the gifter's instructions, we will know more how to handle the money and proceed from there. However, we do know that it will be opened to the state of Wisconsin to encourage writers. If these preliminary instructions change and it should be open to the entire US I will let everyone know.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:12 pm

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:33 pm

Dr G that was the best laugh I had in a long long time. If I weren't so dang old, I might be tempted to take a peak. :lol: :roll:

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:35 pm

formerlydrbertholdt
Private E-1

Postby formerlydrbertholdt » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Return to Conversation question