[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Have you suddenly wanted to slap an author? : Conversation question • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Have you suddenly wanted to slap an author?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Taunchi
Private E-1

Re: Have you suddenly wanted to slap an author?

Postby Taunchi » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:41 pm

If any of you have read the Winds of the Forelands series by David b. Coe... There were a few moments in that series where I wanted to slap and kiss that man at the same time. The first few chapters of the first book were a stellar way to begin a series (mildly shocking but very stellar). If you haven't read the series, I highly suggest it.

No spoilers -- Somebody or a few somebodies die at some point. Sounds like a cliche.. BUT he does it in a spectacular way. His characters are very complex and alluring (for the most part) so you find yourself bonding with all of them.

EDIT: Didn't realize I just necro'd this post. I apologize.

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Postby gesler0811 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:27 am

Three examples pop to mind, two from movies, one from a book.

First, the book. Anyone ever read K.A. Applegate's YA "Everworld" series. If not, potential quasi-spoiler ahead. Twelve books. Twelve awesome books, is the length of the series. The whole time, you think she's building to some climactic final showdown between the protagonists and the primary antagonist. You see it coming. You're salivating for it. The whole time, the main characters are world-hopping back and forth between the "real" world, and Everworld, where the primary antagonist lives. By the time I got to that last book, I couldn't wait for the epic showdown. Except... it never happened. She just abruptly ended the series when the protagonists decide to stay in Everworld and fight the main antagonist. What happens next? Who knows? It was as if she planned the series to be fifteen books, got sick of it on the twelfth one, and decided in the middle of the last chapter that it would be the last chapter. The End. Thoroughly ruined the whole series for me. Bitter shame too, because the series up until that point ROCKED.

Now, for the movies:
In "Never Been Kissed" Drew Barrymore has a lengthy monologue about the perfect kiss, what it feels like, how it affects you, etc. etc. etc. EXCEPT SHE'S NEVER BEEN KISSED LIKE THAT!!! How does someone who has never been kissed manage to describe it so eloquently, right down to the physiological effects it has on you?

This next one is a Taylor Lautner movie, so I shouldn't be surprised that it could be so stupid. But anyway, in 'Abduction' our heroes go to a public library and do a web search for a particular florist. Meanwhile, in the evil lair, the bad guys say, "somebody just searched for the florist. It has to be [our heroes]." Huh? Were the bad guys scanning the entire internet and monitoring every web search from every computer in the world? I bet the NSA would love to get their hands off of whatever technology they were using.

Fantasy
Major

Postby Fantasy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:31 am

Gesler, I know how you felt about the Everworld series.

FRUSTRATION is not a strong enough emotion for me. -_-

What really got me... what REALLY peeved me to NO END was how JK Rowling finished up the last Harry Potter book. Talk about a let down! Massive disappointment! I was so disgusted with that ending that I wrote off ever watching the rest of the movies (stopped at the second movie when life got in the way). That epilogue. Uhg.

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Postby gesler0811 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:37 pm

What was it about the Harry Potter epilogue? Deathly Hallows ranks as one of my favorite novels of all time. The death-dream-vision-whatever scene near the end chilled me.

Fantasy
Major

Postby Fantasy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:31 pm

Oh, lets start with the 10+ year gap between the last chapter and the epilogue. What. No. I wanted to have descriptions of the romance with Ginny, the wedding of Ron and Hermonie, I'm expecting a happy reunion of people and instead I get the feeling JK Rowling being tired of the series and it just ENDS with Harry dumping his kid off at the train station. No explanation at all as to why or how the story got there.

I just wanted more.

cosivantutte
Private First Class

Postby cosivantutte » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:08 pm

I've wanted to slap L.G. Bass for several months now, but not because she writes bad or anything like that. No. I want to slap her because she wrote Sign of the Qin and got me all invested in her characters. As I got down to the last chapter, I wondered how could she possibly wrap it up satisfactorily. She didn't. She left all of her characters facing impending doom. And she didn't write a sequel. She just wrote that book, left her characters in peril, and ran away from her writing desk never to be seen again.

I've checked her up on the internet with no luck whatsoever. There's no information on her, no information on why she didn't write any sequels, nothing.

Poor Monkey. I wonder if he'll ever get his immortality. :(

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:45 pm

cosivantutte
Private First Class

Postby cosivantutte » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:21 pm

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Postby gesler0811 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:13 pm

cosivantutte
Private First Class

Postby cosivantutte » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:11 pm

Previous

Return to Conversation question