[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
What is a Romance? : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

What is a Romance?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Metilda
Corporal

Re: What is a Romance?

Postby Metilda » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:17 am

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:05 am

I know he doesn't consider his work "romance", but even if Nicholas Sparks calls them "love stories" they're pretty much romance, and he uses male points of view. Maybe you should read a few of his novels. I don't read Harlequin romances with all the heaving bosoms and bulging... um... pecs, but I read romantic stories, and they often use both the male and female narrators in alternating chapters. Kind of fun to read what she thinks he means vs what he really meant. But like I said, I don't know the rules for category romance. I don't think you're writing a category romance though. Sounds more mainstream to me. Or maybe even literary if it's more a study of a relationship. ???
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:13 pm

I've read an interview of Sparks, and it does seem like he works at the craft of writing. Don't all of his books have happy endings and "nice, normal" people?
I might check one of his out.

My characters will be more obviously dysfunctional, but striving for a happy ending, nonetheless.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:25 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:07 am

I'm very fond of Sparks, and any writer would do well to read his work.

Metilda
Corporal

Postby Metilda » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:17 am

I've become frustrated, however, with the genre of Romance. (or should I say, how it's sub genres are listed)

I read/write erotica - but I'm tired of going to find a new *romance* author/book (without the erotica elements!) and coming across books that give me pause, and make me have to research. This is the fault of Amazon and other sources, really.

Erotica = explicit sex scenes.
Romance = no explicit sex scenes.

They should not shove the erotica in with the romance. It's obnoxious.

Previous

Return to Conversation question