[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Protecting Unpublished Work Before the Printing Press : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Protecting Unpublished Work Before the Printing Press

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
gbtreasures
Private E-1

Protecting Unpublished Work Before the Printing Press

Postby gbtreasures » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:40 pm

I don't mean to sound skeptical, but how does an aspiring writer protect his/her work before publication? Is it "safe" to post something for critique purposes on any forum for any reason wo fear that it will be pirated? This goes for writing competitions, sending work off to a publishing house for evaluation, etc.? I have wondered about this. Any thoughts on the subject? :?

DrG2
Colonel

Re: Protecting Unpublished Work Before the Printing Press

Postby DrG2 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:18 pm

If you are JK Rowling or Stephen King, or another big-selling author, yeah, you have to protect your stuff.

The truth is, ideas are a dime a dozen.

The hard part is selling your work, if you are a nobody. The ideas come easy. The writing comes easy, if you are a writer. The selling is hard.

Everything you write is protected by copyright laws, if it is sitting on your computer, posted on a writer's website, or scrawled on a bathroom wall - - though the last might be hard to enforce.

gbtreasures
Private E-1

Postby gbtreasures » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:11 am

8-) Thank you for your explanation. Not that I really think I have anything to worry about.... I probably couldn't give my stuff away! I stumbled onto a discussion on the forum regarding my question after I posted. I'm new here, and finding things everyday, so please bear with me.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:09 am

anyone wanting to be a writer should familiarize him/herself with the copyright laws:

www.copyright.gov
www.uspto.gov

and posting complete works anywhere online can seriously hamper-to-kill its chances of being accepted for publication, so it's best to only post a brief excerpt or two...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:27 am

Metilda
Corporal

Postby Metilda » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:10 pm

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:26 pm

gbtreasures
Private E-1

Postby gbtreasures » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:33 pm

This was posted in FAQ's: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=73757#p530320
Here is an example of a publishing company taking advantage of a relatively unknown published novel. The best "mistakes" are the ones that generate a profit. Its up to the author to be diligent once something has been published, or, for that matter, unpublished. Can there be those out there that would take advantage of a completed, half good work and also try to make a profit from it-when they find one? My thinking is, yes. Thank you for the copyright links and valuable insights. I'm one of those ppl that like to kick a subject around for awhile.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:18 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:37 pm

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Next

Return to Conversation question