[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How many rejections before your first "pro" sale? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How many rejections before your first "pro" sale?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
DrG2
Colonel

How many rejections before your first "pro" sale?

Postby DrG2 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:57 pm

For the sake of argument, we can use duotrope's definition of professional: 5 cents or more per word.

I'm still counting.

DrG2
Colonel

Re: How many rejections before your first "pro" sale?

Postby DrG2 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:21 pm

Actually, I remembered that the first thing I submitted to a magazine was accepted, but it was nonfiction. It pays professional rates, now, but I don't think it did when I was published.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:33 am

my first professionally published work, a short story, was accepted by the second magazine i submitted it to [first was glimmer train]... paid a paltry $25 and copies, but was better than nada...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:07 pm

Over a hundred, and I'm working on the second hundred before I sell a second. It was the second place I sent the story.
Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:39 pm

None. I sold the first three short stories I wrote to national magazines, and the first novel I wrote to the first published that saw it. Only then did I receive my first rejection.

linnea
Private E-1

Postby linnea » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:04 pm

Oh, crap, I don't know. Probably 50 or 60.
my blog:

Gio
Private E-1

Postby Gio » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:11 pm

My very first sub got accepted, but it was a charity antho (with a fantastic TOC--I couldn't believe my luck); then it took me 13 subs to get my first pro credit.

Return to Conversation question