[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Verb Hallucinate : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Verb Hallucinate

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
jaus tail
Lieutenant

Verb Hallucinate

Postby jaus tail » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:16 am

Hello everyone,

What would the correct sentence be?

she hallucinates about him/she gets hallucinations about him/she experienced hallucinations about him.
Have a nice day

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Verb Hallucinate

Postby mammamaia » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:16 am

i'd say 1 and 3 are ok, 2 is a bit iffy...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

AndriaLonye
Private E-1

Postby AndriaLonye » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:18 pm

My writing advice blog >>
Follow Me @AndriaLonye
Like my fan page

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:53 am

the poster was asking if the sentences were 'correct'... not if they were effective in a work of fiction...

and while in a story, one could certainly choose to 'show' the hallucinations, stating unequivocally that 'none of the above' are correct is itself incorrect, since there could be many situations in which either of those 2 'correct' sentences can be used to good effect...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:50 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

AndriaLonye
Private E-1

Postby AndriaLonye » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:09 pm

You're right, the context could have been anything, including "telling." So? I took the time to give some detailed advice which was different than that of everyone else, but could still be valuable for this sentence and many others. Anyone can find it useful. I appreciate everyone's input. No need to patronize my advice.
My writing advice blog >>
Follow Me @AndriaLonye
Like my fan page

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:30 am

i wasn't 'patronizing' you and am sure updog wasn't, either... just 'clarifying'... no offense intended...

fatstagnation
Private E-1

Postby fatstagnation » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:26 pm

I would say "She has hallucinations of him."

just my 2 cents. :)

Return to Conversation question