[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Jello : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Jello

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Brien Sz
Sergeant Major of the Army

Jello

Postby Brien Sz » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:18 pm

Is jello a trademarked name? I used it as part of a description... similar to, legs turned to jello. I keep getting the red line under it in Word (and in the box here). So either I have to find a new descriptive or I have to make sure it's used properly.

Anya Kylash
Lieutenant

Re: Jello

Postby Anya Kylash » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:30 pm

The spelling is Jell-o and it'll accept that.
Finished:
Race Against Fate -101k words
Loyalties Lost -121k words
Forgotten -100k words
Friends and Foes -113k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Brien Sz » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:34 pm

Ahhhh, right!

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:10 pm

I really, really doubt you'd get in trouble for using Jell-o (which is a brand name), but if you're worried, there's always gelatin. Or jelly. :mrgreen:
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:38 am

you can't get into trouble using a brand name, unless you write something derogatory about it, such as it makes people sick or whatever...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:23 am

The only thing about using trade-names is that it will both date and locate your story, but if that's not an issue in this case carry on.
Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:40 am

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:06 pm

Being English, I have always used "legs turned to jelly". I never heard of Jell-O until I came here.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:47 pm

For a wider audience, I'd use jelly. Jello is North American. Jelly is for jelly babies, and that wobbly stuff, a dessert made by boiling fruit and sugar and set with gelatin. Or the wobbly stuff that results from bones boiled for a long time. Jello is a brand name of fruit crystals mixed with powdered gelatin.
[imge=3509-3]

Next

Return to Conversation question