[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Any Tips On Cover Image? : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Any Tips On Cover Image?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Anya Kylash
Lieutenant

Re: Any Tips On Cover Image?

Postby Anya Kylash » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:12 pm

Finished:
Race Against Fate -101k words
Loyalties Lost -121k words
Forgotten -100k words
Friends and Foes -113k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:38 am

Covers really are not terribly important. Pretty much no one, at least on a percentage basis, buys a book because of the cover. Publishers have done more research on this than you can believe. The job of the cover is simply to draw a reader to the book from a distance. This is why bright, splashy, covers with contrasting colors that often aren't very pretty up close get put on novels.

Writers always want pretty covers with great art. Marketing wants covers that actually draw readers close enough to read the jacket copy, and then page one. This is what sells books. It's always about the writing.

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:15 am

Thanks James. I knew that books are sold on word of mouth, but thought that covers are what attracts the first reader. How would one come to the book if it's got an amateur cover?

Thanks again. I'll think about the cover, won't invest much in it, but still work towards a decent cover.
Have a nice day

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:19 pm

I have dismissed books from consideration solely because of their cover. Regarding self-published books, a cover that doesn't look professional is an immediate turn-off.
I have given more consideration to books that had an interesting cover.
I don't think I'm odd in this regard.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:37 pm

If I'm scanning the shelves at Barnes & Noble, whether it be the brick and mortar store or the virtual one, the cover is what makes me pick the book up to check out the blurb and the first few pages. If your cover doesn't catch my eye, I'll pass it by. The only time the cover doesn't matter to me is if the book was recommended by someone I trust, or it's written by an author I already love.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:45 pm

Of course. And then there's Fabio. :mrgreen:

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:29 am

i'm with drg and updog on this... they said it all for me!
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Postby Elibet1 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:25 pm

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Postby Elibet1 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:26 pm

jaus tail
Lieutenant