[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Any Tips On Cover Image? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Any Tips On Cover Image?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
jaus tail
Lieutenant

Any Tips On Cover Image?

Postby jaus tail » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:02 am

Hello Everyone,

I plan to self publish my novel and need to create the cover image. Should I hire someone? Any idea how to go about it? I googled it up but found too many options.
Have a nice day

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Re: Any Tips On Cover Image?

Postby louiseh87 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:15 am

Try DeviantArt. Look for an artist whose style you like and ask them. You might also want to research what a good price would be while you're on, so you have something to offer going in.
Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

Anya Kylash
Lieutenant

Postby Anya Kylash » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:34 am

One of my favorite artists on DeviantArt is Irisiana here.

http://isriana.deviantart.com/

I plan to get her to do my cover someday. She's really good at it.
Finished:
Race Against Fate -101k words
Loyalties Lost -121k words
Forgotten -100k words
Friends and Foes -113k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:14 pm

Anya Kylash
Lieutenant

Postby Anya Kylash » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:03 pm

Of course! But I'll suggest her to the publishers.
Finished:
Forgotten -100k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:38 pm

Anya Kylash
Lieutenant

Postby Anya Kylash » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:07 pm

I know... But if I ever do get an option. You know how important a cover is.
Finished:
Forgotten -100k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:53 am

Two proficient writers stand before me but i only have one novel in my hand and this novel represents the one of you that is still in the running towards becoming WD's next top writer.

First we have Anya, the girl with red hair who writes about magic.

Anya smiled in pride.

Anya, the lady who's stories have won her millions of accolades. Oldtimer here,thinks you could create a cult of your own.

Oldtimer said true, as she sat in the judging panel.

Anya, your story, 'My red hair and what makes me a ginger,' is so real, i almost believed you were a true ginger.

And then we have Louise. Your cowboy style writing makes us believe your so action oriented, so hard core, so power pack, full of batman, cowboy, strenght and so powerful. You even had your story published in "WD newspaper". When i read your story, "What separates a horse from mare is the horserider' i was like "Bam this writer is amazing."

So who goes home and who stays.
The novel i pick is still in the runing and the one who's name i do not call must immediately go to house, pack your belongings and go home.

and the name is, that's when the lights went out and a black out struck the city. There was a power outage in the line. they heard a crash of the glass. the house was broken into. the next day's newspaper headlines read, "Jaus Escapes Arkham"
Have a nice day

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:40 am

you can design your own cover without spending a penny, using free art downloads you can find with a google images search... that's what i did for my 6 books...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:56 am

I tried creating my own cover. Then I looked up in the internet(looked up in the internet or looked up the internet or looked in the internet??) and the covers done by professionals were appealing. Mine would be amateur, as in there wouldn't be any feedback for it. How would I know if it's good or bad?
Have a nice day

Next

Return to Conversation question