[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Few Grammar Questions : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Few Grammar Questions

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
jaus tail
Lieutenant

Few Grammar Questions

Postby jaus tail » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:02 pm

Hello Writer,

I need help with the following sentences.

She picked the soap and flushed it down the toilet or flushed it in the toilet

If only there were/was some music now to complete the bliss of the moment.

To enhance the dark mood, she closed the curtains(?? is this correct) and switched off the lights.

Regards,

Jaus
Have a nice day

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Few Grammar Questions

Postby mammamaia » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:04 pm

...has to be 'picked up'... and 'flushed it down' is the correct term... but why is it necessary to say she picked it up?... why not K.I.S.S.! with, 'She flushed the soap down the toilet.'?

...in this context, i'd use 'was'... but 'complete...etc.' doesn't make good sense to me and doesn't read well...

To enhance the dark mood, she closed the curtains(?? is this correct) and switched off the lights.

...yes, that's correct...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:18 pm

Thanks
Have a nice day

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:17 am

She picked up the soap and flushed it down the toilet.

If only there were some music to complete the bliss of the moment. There is no music, so this is subjunctive mood, and demands "were". If only I were rich. If only I were handsome. Not rich, not handsome, so "were" is the choice. No music, so it's were. As a rule, when you use the word "if", you use were instead of was because it's subjunctive mood.

Complete works very well, too. It is, in fact, standard usage.

Yes, this is correct.

Anya Kylash
Lieutenant

Postby Anya Kylash » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:27 am

Finished:
Race Against Fate -101k words
Loyalties Lost -121k words
Forgotten -100k words
Friends and Foes -113k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:57 pm

as james and anya realized how similar their thoughts were, the two looked at each other. anya looked at his triangular face. it had no scar, no hair, the cheeks looked like they had been cut from a precious depleting marble

anya walked towards him and held his hand. his eyes sparkled with golden light and the spell was complete. broad white wings emerged from his shoulder, he flapped them once and jumped high in the sky. he had anya in his hands.

there was no reason to continue holding the hand, they had met each other for the first time
she looked down at the world from the sky, the narrow road, the trees along its border, the cars parked in front of the houses

'who are you?' she asked him.
'i am the guarding of the earth, i'm here to protect the wind and you my friend are the fire soldier.'

he flew her to a roof and gave her a ring. she wore it and orange flames surronded her body, her hair turned red

she looked at him and said, 'what is this?'

'you're now the fire soldier, look after fire pollution, use this power wise to save earth from evil humans.'

wind and fire guardians had been discovered. now what remained was earth, water and heart
Have a nice day

Anya Kylash
Lieutenant

Postby Anya Kylash » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:37 am

Finished:
Forgotten -100k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:00 am

no reason to hold hands?

you dont have wings. he's got cause he's the wing guy. there is no reason for you strangers to hold hands, that's what i implied.

you dont control fire, you got a ring that can burn objects that cause pollution

like if there's a chimney of a factory that's emitting poisnonous suphur dioxide, then you can use your ring around the chimney's rim, melt it and block the outlet. the factory will stop functioning and the smoke outlet would reduce

here is where Ayn Rand readers will say, 'Factories should be allowed to exist, we need to invent better cures go global warming than stopping industrial progress.' I agree with her though, but captain planet has to be summoned. i need earth, water and heart.
Have a nice day

Anya Kylash
Lieutenant

Postby Anya Kylash » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:55 am

Finished:
Forgotten -100k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:45 am

i grew a tree in the garden
big apple tree with green plenty leaves
the air went oxygen
but no one cared

i replaced my plants with cactii
water saved 2 litres
but neighbor mary used the reserve
and carl dude had washed his bike

victor hammer, petroleum empire
waterfall in house, nuclear explosion elsewhere
boom a country died
his expanse found new lair

i grew a tree in garden
big apple tree, couldnt save the world
big apple tree gave me apples
least i kept my doctor away

p.s anya your fire ring has been revoked, reduce your electricity and water consumption by 2 dollars else you're out of the game
Have a nice day

Next

Return to Conversation question