Where do i get the spells from for my fantasy novel?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Anya Kylash
Lieutenant

Re: Where do i get the spells from for my fantasy novel?

Postby Anya Kylash » Thu May 09, 2013 9:10 pm

I really want to see what kind of character I'll be in one of Jaus's WD spontaneous stories. *hint hint nudge nudge*
Finished:
Race Against Fate -101k words
Loyalties Lost -121k words
Forgotten -100k words
Friends and Foes -113k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Fri May 10, 2013 2:58 am

Thanks a lot Anya, your post actually inspired me to get back.

to you and rosebud,

Godess Rosebud woke from her sleep where she was dreaming of ruling the seven seas as the deadliest pirate ever seen. The sound of a howling wolves reminded her that Rod was in trouble. She had to save the world from the four evil women. She walked over to the window and looked at the full moon outside. It’s white glow was fading with time. She could see evil winning the battle. She removed a candle stick from the side table, and blinked. The stick ignited, soon the room was glowing in yellow light. Then the fire surrounded her and her night gown changed, to wonderwoman. Goggles came around her eyes like cat woman, a lasso around her waist and a gun inside the sling. She wore the sling around her shoulder and flew out of the bungalow.

She looked down and saw skeletons breaking street poles, mugging people, throwing dogs around. The skeletons broke through glass windows of shops and destroyed whatever lied within. Rosebud removed her lasso and tied a few skeletons around, she tightened her grip at the end of the lasso and it ignited yellow, the skeletons blasted to dust particles.

Rosebud then kicked them around, removed her gun and shot them with the lazer beam.

She held one by his collar and said, ‘Who sent you?” her eyes glowed and she asked, “I will not ask again.”

Fearing lazer beam attack, the skeleton revealed, “Our queen, Anya stays atop the mountain, perhaps you might want to…”

Before he could say anything, his jaw stopped moving. He froze. Rosebud released her grip and he fell on the ground. She saw a shadow encroaching on her. She turned around and saw Anya resting on a cloud.

Anya was the skeleton queen, the woman who created evil and enjoyed toying with spirits. She moved her index finger, in circles, creating a whirlpool of the cloud. It grew and then she blew it to a puff.

She put her hand under her chin and yawned then asked Rosebud, “Why are you attacking my army?”

Rosebud had the stance of some military officer in some ceremony, she replied, “Tell your army to leave my city alone.”

“And why will I do that?” asked Anya poetically, her voice was a shrill, when she spoke the glass windows broke. It was like a cockroach had stuck in a cat’s voice and refused to come out, rather the cockroach was partying and doing DJ in her throat.

“So rosebuddy,” said anya, “Your name is so funny, oh rosebuddy, dee dee dee, rosy buddy, or buddy rosy, it’s all so funny,”

Rosebud put her hand on her forehead and sighed.

“Oh come on” said anya, “Your so boring.”

“I am not here to entertain you, tell your army to go.”

“Or else?” asked anya,

‘Else I’ll beat you on Universe’s Next Top Magician, you really want to do that.”

“Nooooo,” cried Anya, “How dare you, I had just learnt the perfect walk, oh let me show…one two cha cha cha,,three four,, la la la..lets’go..” she strutted on the clouds.

“Can we please discuss the skeletons?” scolded Rosebud.

“Fine fine,” said anya, “Your such a spoil sport, I’ll tell my minions to go in the coffin but what do I get in return?”

“In return I’ll teach you how to use the lasso and the machine gun.”

A smile curved anya’s lips at the mention of the machine gun. She imagined using it for target practice and said, “Cool.”
Have a nice day

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Fri May 10, 2013 7:57 am

Jaus, you fracture everyone with your astounding imagination. What fun to read your delightful ramblings.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Anya Kylash
Lieutenant

Postby Anya Kylash » Fri May 10, 2013 4:52 pm

Awesome! I'm like Ty Lee from Avatar the last Airbender!
Finished:
Forgotten -100k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Fri May 10, 2013 9:55 pm

Creating own spells sounds better than foreign language.

Consider, he looked at the man who won the grammy, and said,
"Vous etes un chien."
vs
He looked at the man, tapped his right foot, rubbed his shoulders against air and said,
"Dogs bark,
hear them bark,
dogs bite,
evolve your teeth,
for this wish is mine,
and now you're a canine."
Have a nice day

Anya Kylash
Lieutenant

Postby Anya Kylash » Fri May 10, 2013 10:27 pm

I like the foreign a bit more. But only a little bit more. The English spells have their own quality that's awesome.

Buttercup, sunshine mellow-
Turn this stupid fat rat yellow.
vs.
Alohamora

I'd take the spoken one any day.
Finished:
Forgotten -100k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Fri May 10, 2013 10:55 pm

Great story Jaus. You honor me. Thanks. I love the battle format with Anya.

As for the spell language, I agree with you. I hate having to decipher the meaning of words, unless you're planning to create your own language for spells like in the Harry Potter books. But since that's been done already, your poetic method works for me. You're already creating your spell motions by having one blink an eye or blow air for wind.

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Sat May 11, 2013 7:30 am

i honor you, i fracture your brains, i humor you'll, you'll keep a word document..

could you be any more evil...which one of you sued me and ratted me to the cops, early in the morning i see the feds at my door step. they found out about my nukes that had been targeted towards half the world, the sequence was initiated, launch codes entered but the feds and mi5 had to pitch in..

now i swear when i get out of arkham prison i shall hunt you down one by one...and this time no batman will come to save your WD city or as we old folks call it, 'gotham'
Have a nice day

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Sun May 12, 2013 7:39 am

I didnt mean to offend anyone. Wrote it only as a joke. I've made some great friends, wouldn't want to hurt anyone. Wrote it all as a joke, nothing with sarcastic or evil intent.
Have a nice day

Anya Kylash
Lieutenant

Postby Anya Kylash » Sun May 12, 2013 10:51 am

No, I love it! I wouldn't have cast it any other way!
Finished:
Forgotten -100k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question