[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Where do i get the spells from for my fantasy novel? : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Where do i get the spells from for my fantasy novel?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
pls
Site Admin

Re: Where do i get the spells from for my fantasy novel?

Postby pls » Tue May 07, 2013 2:08 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Tue May 07, 2013 4:16 pm

Gee, after eighteen years I still get tripped up by differences in American and English interpretations. There never was a truer saying than 'Live and learn'.

Jaus: I laughed so much I almost didn't make it to the bathroom. Thank you for giving me wine, but I'm not too happy about the broomstick. :mrgreen:
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Tue May 07, 2013 4:20 pm

Jaus,

I'm going to have to keep a Word document for these. I love it! They are priceless. I love my flying horse!! :D

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Wed May 08, 2013 2:06 am

Seated on his throne Pls was patting the wolf’s head. The wolf raised its nose and squinted his eyes at his master. Pls had a ear phone attached to his ear and was snapping the fingers of his other hand. A skeleton was holding a glass of dragon blood, while another was fanning him.

Suddenly the wolf growled. Pls looked at him and asked, “What’s the matter boy?” He removed the ear phone that was playing Updog’s album. He finished his glass of dragon blood and flung in on the floor.

“What’s the matter boy? Why are you so disturbed?” he asked again. He heard a howl from the window, then saw his boy leaping across it. “Where are you going?” he put on his evening gown, opened his right palm and said, “Axe here, axe there, o evil help me, bring the bear.”

A giant brown Grizzly bear came under him and carried him to the forest. In the dark forest he met his opponent. He saw his wolf battling Laycrew’s white horse and saw the four ladies standing at a distance, looking at the match.

“What is the meaning of this trespass?” he asked the women.

Oldtimer moved her wand, the animals were separated. She said, “We want to tell you something, Rod has returned.”

“The king of Noble Magic?” asked Pls.

“Yes,” replied Louise, “And he’s got his axe back. I warded him once, but I don’t know how long I can take him.”

Pls punched his left palm with his right hand and said, “Don’t worry, leave him to me.”

His bear roared and his wolf howled.
Have a nice day

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Wed May 08, 2013 2:15 pm

Looks to me that you've found your spelling making powers Jaus.

Anya Kylash
Lieutenant

Postby Anya Kylash » Wed May 08, 2013 6:24 pm

Jaus, that's awesome!

As for spells, just do them in a different language. J.K. did Latin and there's plenty of latin without using her words. Alohamora: Hawaiian for "Hello, lock". Avada Kedavra: "Abracadabra". Just use your imagination and surf through the languages for something suitable.
Finished:
Race Against Fate -101k words
Loyalties Lost -121k words
Forgotten -100k words
Friends and Foes -113k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Wed May 08, 2013 10:20 pm

Gratias Tibi Ago,

ma belle amie,
et tous des autres personnes,
vous faites moi heaureax.

quand je m'arrete a mon ecrit,
vous aidez moi,
que je vous aide,
at nous aidons nous.

Avoir un beau jour.
Have a nice day

Anya Kylash
Lieutenant

Postby Anya Kylash » Wed May 08, 2013 11:29 pm

I got the gist, but still had to use google translate. Not too bad, seeing as I've never taken French.

Aren't we all fortunate to have each other helping each other out?
And I'm pretty sure that's way too long to be an effective spell. ;)
Finished:
Race Against Fate -101k words
Loyalties Lost -121k words
Forgotten -100k words
Friends and Foes -113k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Wed May 08, 2013 11:44 pm

Yes we are. we just need to identify whom we want to hang out with. find the negative energy around us and create a lightening strong enough to fry the negativity

of course sometimes we can fly on the pegassus for an easy retreat, because some evils are too much to handle

then we can ask for help, like batman has robin for assistance

if we choose to fight, at times we get defeated

and then there are those rare moments when we discover our inner powers and evolve like pokemon

this would sound like a spell when written in a foreign language
Have a nice day

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Thu May 09, 2013 12:01 am

Jaus,

I didn't know you spoke French too. I lived in Quebec for 3 years and got a chance to practice the language in real life. My grammar's not that good, but I understand it and can get by in a pinch.

Merci and bon jour.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question