[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Where do i get the spells from for my fantasy novel? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Where do i get the spells from for my fantasy novel?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
jaus tail
Lieutenant

Where do i get the spells from for my fantasy novel?

Postby jaus tail » Mon May 06, 2013 1:46 am

Hello everyone,

I'm writing a fantasy novel with magical spells. Where do i get them from? If i use them from the internet will I have to seek permission from them?
Have a nice day

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Re: Where do i get the spells from for my fantasy novel?

Postby louiseh87 » Mon May 06, 2013 5:17 am

Erm...make them up.

A magic system is usually about more than spells so maybe do a detailed outline of how your magi works etc and that might help with some inspiration. Or your setting might help - what kind of place is it, have you been influenced by any real world societies?
Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Mon May 06, 2013 9:35 am

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Mon May 06, 2013 11:33 am

The world is earth. It's a character who knows magic like teleportation, soul exchange and a few other tricks. But make your own spell, sounds cool.

Louise woke from her sleep. She waved her blonde hair over her shoulder and looked at the vast ceiling. She enjoyed living in a mansion. She looked at the dressing table to her right, the large, oval mirror reflected her triangular face. She stared at it and asked, "Mirror mirror on the wall who's the prettiest of them all."

A globule of light appeared at the centre of the oval and it began spreading it's yellow light in the room. Moments later Louise was standing in front of the table wearing a sleeveless black gown, like one of those oscar party gowns, and long ear rings. She put her hand on her cheek and said, "Thank you mirror for dressing me all over again."

She walked down the stairs of her bungalow when Rob stood in front of her. He had a long beard and a red hat. "What are you doing here?" asked Louise.

"I want my mirror back," said Rob holding an axe in his hand.

Louise raised her right palm to her eye level and said, "You really think you stand a chance in front of my magic?"

"This axe cuts through all magic, lady," said Rob.

"Fine then," said Louise. Winds raced past the bungalow. Clouds blocked the sun. Fog appeared on the walls, it soon turned black as a smile curved Louise's lips. She said, "Let the battle begin."
Have a nice day

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Mon May 06, 2013 12:36 pm

Jaus! :lol:

There was a BBC television show where they used spells and had another language for calling dragons. For one of them they used Latin words. I had a magic system in one of my novels. I didn't have a lot of spells that needed to be said but for the few words I needed for that I did the same, used the Latin word for what the character needed the spell for.

Also making it up would be great. There are some videos with author Brandon Sanderson during his creative writing class where he talks about building a magic system that might be helpful for you. There is so much more other great stuff there too. :D

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Mon May 06, 2013 1:18 pm

Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:49 pm

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Mon May 06, 2013 3:55 pm

In the U.S. bungalows can either be single storey or one and a half storeys. Obviously the one and a half storey houses have stairs. Like mine. :)
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:19 pm

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Mon May 06, 2013 11:18 pm

Lightening emerged from the skies and spread it's roots creating power outages in the city. Louise's eyes sparkled dark grey. Rod tried hard to fight the wind. "Give it up Rod," said Louise, "Your no match for me," she raised her hand and snapped her fingers. A tornado grew from her feet and veered towards Rod then collected him within and took him out of the window. Rod used his axe and cut through the wind, vowed to return some day and defeat Louise

That evening Louise, Oldtimer, Laycrew and Updog went for the Oscars. Louise was in her black gown holding a black wand, Oldtimer had flown down her broom wearing a navy blue gown and triangular, long hat. Laycrew had worn a white silk gown and had arrived on a flying horse. Updog had worn a black shirt with three horns at each shoulder and jeans torn at the knees. Her right hand held the end of the leash, which was tied around her bulldog.

Inside the auditorium, Leonardo Di Caprio was giving the award for best actor in Leading Role. The audience was listening to him with attention, all but the four women who were playing cards in the back table. Oldtimer had a glass of wine in her hand. Laycrew was drinking beer.

"Excuse me ladies," said Leo, "Could we have some silence please?"

"No you may not," said Laycrew, already mad at losing the hand. She got up and said, "Boo." Leo disappeared. Then she sat down and said, "That should teach him a lesson."

"No dear," said Oldtimer, "You must be subtle," she stood and said, "Boo." Leo returned but shirtless and only a pair of boxers.

"Subtle!" asked Laycrew.

The security arrived. Laycrew looked at the hunky, six feet tall guards and said, “Boo,” They turned to dogs.

“Aww!” said Updog, then looked at Leo’s shirtless body. To her left she saw Tom Cruise. Their eyes met. He got up and began running away when Updog said, “Where are you going boy?”
Have a nice day

Next

Return to Conversation question