[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Information Regarding Raider Publishers? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Information Regarding Raider Publishers?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
jaus tail
Lieutenant

Information Regarding Raider Publishers?

Postby jaus tail » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:39 pm

Hello everyone,

I got an email from Raider Publishing, saying they'd like to go ahead with my novel. Has anyone heard about it, worked with it before? They're offering packages as in package a, I'll have to PAY some money and I'll get 51% royalty, and then there are other packages where the PAY increases with increase in royalty.

Any advice..
Have a nice day

rosebud
Major

Re: Information Regarding Raider Publishers?

Postby rosebud » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:06 am

You should NEVER have to pay anything to get your work published. Check out Predator and Editors for reliable publishers. I see a big red flag where Raiders is concerned.

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:45 am

Thanks, the predator and editor website sounds helpful.
Have a nice day

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:54 am

Run away as fast as you can, Jaus.

Raider gets a "Strongly not recommended" from Preditors and Editors.

Here's a thread about them from Absolute Write:

and Writer Beware:

They are a vanity publisher, and they will take your money and do little for you in return.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:19 am

updog and rosebud said it all for me! [thanks for saving me the typing, amigos!]

NEVER consider any so-called 'publisher'[or 'agent'] that asks for any money from the author, for anything!...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:02 pm

Thanks.
Have a nice day

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:17 am

The raider publishing guys are again sending me emails asking about my manuscript. Should i reject them, what should i do, i haven't replied to them? While i'm sure i wont send them the complete novel, what if they're evil goons and sort of use their contacts to blacklist me? i'm a little afraid of them now.
Have a nice day

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:41 am

relax!... what could they possibly 'blackmail' you for?

what did you send them?... just a query, or a query and sample chapters?... regardless, just thank them for the offer and say you have made other arrangements... there's nothing at all they can do or would want to, since i'm sure they've a bleep-load of other potential suckers to scam and don't need to bother with you any further...

and from now on, check out all agents/publishers out on p&e before contacting them...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:07 pm

Query and 3 sample chapters. But they shouldnt email me after i didnt reply. I was worried coz it's not a safe neighborhood, wat if i piss them off...thanks for the idea of another deal, i was thinking the same but didnt know how to initiate. Never interacted with such folks.
Have a nice day

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:26 pm

Jaus, they can't get you blacklisted because they have no clout in the publishing world. But yes, some of these vanity publishers will try to put pressure on you by emailing you even after you've declined their "offer". ( I hear some of them even make phone calls if they have your number.) Just ignore them.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Next

Return to Conversation question