[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How to describe this sitting style on chair? : Conversation question • Page 4 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How to describe this sitting style on chair?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Anya Kylash
Lieutenant

Re: How to describe this sitting style on chair?

Postby Anya Kylash » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:34 am

Chair-ology.
Finished:
Race Against Fate -101k words
Loyalties Lost -121k words
Forgotten -100k words
Friends and Foes -113k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:18 am

Have a nice day

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:42 pm

thanks for the lesson in chair anatomy... i'm amazed at how much i did not know about wooden chairs' bodily parts!

the trouble with your description is that when used in a piece of writing, if the reader isn't seeing that photo and doesn't have your degree in chairology, s/he won't know what the heck you mean, since all chairs do not have 'ears'... or 'elbows'...

in my case, for instance, i was not picturing that kind of chair at all, since i've had many earless wooden chairs and many non-wooden numbers...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:55 am

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:47 am

So it's 'he moved your eyes keeping his head still, just like his life which hadn't excited him since the past three years, two months and three days, or since the day he killed his wife'?
Have a nice day

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:52 pm

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:34 pm

The only kind of chair you can actually straddle is a plain old kitchen chair that has no arms, and it has to be backwards. If it's a different kind of chair, you aren't going to be turning it around and sitting in it, anyway.

It's called straddling, just like you straddle a horse. Readers all know what this means. As writers, we sometimes try too hard to put an image in a reader's mind. If the image is already there, and this one is, don't try to paint too detailed a picture. Readers know what straddling a chair means, and they already have the picture firmly in mind.

I learn something new everyday, too. I've built kitchen chairs, and I have a friend who makes chairs, table, cabinets, etc., for a living. He taught me, in fact. Neither of us ever called the part of a spindle that sticks up above the chair back anything at all, and it isn't called anything on any of the plans or schematics we use, either. Who knew?

Basie
Private E-2

Postby Basie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:11 pm

I don't claim to understand the last sentence you posted, but the word is straddle. Straddle, straddle, straddle. Even if it's a queen Anne chair that you sit in backwards--you are straddling it.

I have a queen Anne. I've straddled it, knees bent over the arms with the side of my head rested against the back. (An odd comfort for my troubled back.)

Whatever the importance of the location of his arms/hands follows his straddling the chair.
Writing is excessive drudgery: it dims your sight, crooks your back, twists your stomach & your sides....Three fingers write, but the whole body labours. ~Eighth Century Scribe~

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:57 pm

Funniest thread ever. :mrgreen:
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:27 pm

Agreed.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question