[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How to describe this sitting style on chair? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How to describe this sitting style on chair?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
jaus tail
Lieutenant

How to describe this sitting style on chair?

Postby jaus tail » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:19 am

Hello,

I need to describe a scene where a man sits on the chair, with chest facing the spine of the chair, hands resting on the ears of chair, legs thrown out the sides. Like he's riding the chair, assuming it to be a horse. How do I write it in one sentence? Like the position is 180 degrees opposite to the usual position. The man is sitting, with his back facing where normally the eyes face and he's hugging the spine. Is there an easier way to say this?

Thanks in advance.
Have a nice day

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Re: How to describe this sitting style on chair?

Postby louiseh87 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:29 am

Backwards. :D
Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:41 am

As in he sat on the chair backwards, i've never heard of this phrase. One can walk backwards, like MJ's moonwalk but sitting backwards sonds off.
Have a nice day

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:42 am

Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:26 am

How about:

He turned the chair round and straddled it, his hands clutching the back as if it were a horse's mane. :)
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:55 pm

brava, dot!

that's how it's usually done, jaus...

i don't know about the 'mane' bit, though... doesn't seem to fit, physically... do you really have to specify what his arms and hands are doing?
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Postby Elibet1 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:28 pm

"He turned the chair round and straddled it," Brilliant Dot! :)

The word that came to me was 'astride:
He sat astride the chair.

Just for clarity's sake Jaus, what type of chair was it? When you said, holding the chair's ears I thought it might be a winged armchair, but then I thought that'd be silly, and probably quite difficult to straddle. Then I thought, dinning-chair, but then I thought, some dinning-chair backs don't have ears, and only come up to just below the shoulder blades. So, that'd be more chest-level grabbing/holding. So now, I'm thinking it's a heavily-carved, high-back, dinning chair that looks like a horse with ears. :mrgreen:

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:41 pm

I almost picture a rolling office chair if it has "wings" I agree with Oldtimer/Dorothy on what she said.

Jaus turned the chair around and straddled it. His hands gripped the back rest when Gloria entered the room.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:44 pm

Although I always wrote it this way prior to starting my writing career, the US uses backward and UK uses backwards and from what I have read the UK is going away from using the 's'. This goes for forward and forwards, upward and upwards, downward and downwards, toward and towards, etcetera. I do not know the reason why, just that it's listed all over the Internet that way. I'll have to see if it's in the Chicago Manual of Style. The grammar girl talks about it.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:45 pm

Next

Return to Conversation question