[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
What is the correct word for this part of the car? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

What is the correct word for this part of the car?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
jaus tail
Lieutenant

What is the correct word for this part of the car?

Postby jaus tail » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:50 am

In my novel a woman is drunk, and is trying to pick a beer bottle from the floor of the car. The driver starts the car, requests her to stop searching from the bottle and sit back. She refuses and keeps looking down. She is looking under the seat. He stops the car, to tell her to stop. Due to the jerk her head hits ahead. What part of the car does she hit? It's the part where the stereo and air conditioner is attached. What is the word for that part?

I tried google, asked a garage owner but couldn't find any word for that part. Any suggestions...
Have a nice day

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: What is the correct word for this part of the car?

Postby Jowen » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:06 pm

The dashboard -- or dash, in less formal abbreviated form.
[imge=3509-3]

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:00 pm

If you're referring specifically to the bit in the middle, between the driver and passenger sides, it would be the centre console.
Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

allz28
Captain

Postby allz28 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:43 pm

It's the dashboard. But if you want to be specific, why not just say she hit the radio or a/c controls or glove box?

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Postby Elibet1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:46 pm

All of the above. :)

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:10 am

Thank you everyone..hope you have a great ride in your respective cars, on a broad bridge which overlooks a vast ocean. The sky would be crowded with stars who would applause with their twinkling as you'd have a great time with the companion of your choice.
Have a nice day

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:00 pm

I just love the way you thank people jaus. :D

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:37 am

You're always welcome. My imagination is very strong, so it actually comes naturally. I don't put much effort into it. Though others have helped me in better ways. You have taught me the lesson of maintaining a POV in the story. Mammamaia's criticism was the reason I read more books, even when I was tired of them. I made a very good friend here. I even flirted with a woman who later reprimanded me. I've enjoyed my stay here, I hope you'll have also had good experiences here. Did anyone have any experiences you would like to share?

The best experience gets a thousand dollar gift car from Rosebud and a two night stay in Iceland with Nicole or Eva Longoria, whoever is available.
Have a nice day

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:19 pm

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:39 pm

That's funny haha. :lol: :lol:

My good experiences have been mostly motivational. I've joined in on Nanowrimo the past two years, along with the Holiday Story Exchange. These two things have prompted me to write something where I might otherwise not have done. So thanks fellow forumites for the boost. :D

Next

Return to Conversation question