[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Do you think the general public is ready for such a thing? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Do you think the general public is ready for such a thing?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
N.B.Yomi
Private E-1

Do you think the general public is ready for such a thing?

Postby N.B.Yomi » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:39 pm

I've posted my manuscript OverComing The Dark and while utilizing some of the criticism I started thinking:"Is the general public really ready for a story dealing a black nerd having to rescue his African girlfriend from a shaman?"

I mean while yes if I utilize the criticism I'm given I could get an agent, publisher and some fans. But I'm rather concerned with the general public, i.e. Mainstream Media demographic who proclaimed Twilight as the next Harry Potter.

I don't think they're ready because a black character being anything but ghetto is foreign(Alex Cross being the sole exception from where I sit, but who in that audience knows about that character outside of the film?)

Mind you I'm pumped to find the answer, but I leaning towards unfavorable results.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Re: Do you think the general public is ready for such a thin

Postby LMGilbert » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:49 pm

Nerds are totally the flavour of the month, and have been for some years now. Nerd-of-colour Raj on Big Bang Theory is incredibly cute and popular with the general public, whoever they are. I might even be a member of the general public, at least in Canada, and I'm way past ready for a broad, diverse range of nerd icons to idolize.

N.B.Yomi
Private E-1

Postby N.B.Yomi » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:26 pm

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:41 pm

I think that there actually aren't enough stories being submitted in regards to African American protagonists so you could be onto to something. I think even pls wrote one of his books because a librarian told him there weren't enough stories out there. If you are pulling away from the stereotypes and the cliche, all the better. :D

The one thing that could hurt you is YA Paranormal is a saturated market and agents are leaning away from it but they are still open to it if the story is unique and well-written.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:01 pm

i'd been reading/enjoying alex cross before the movies came out...

easy rawlins is a great character and i would have loved to see more of him onscreen, after denzel's delightful depiction of this character who'd been around since 1990 [devil in a blue dress]... unfortunately, the books aren't as well known as are the white protag ones that vastly outnumber their black counterparts... and mosley has said his 2007 'blonde faith' would be his last... more's the pity...

i wish you well with yours... hope to see more competition to the white bread norm... including other ethnic heroes appearing on the horizon... i love detective stories especially, so would love to see series featuring a hispanic and oriental, even a near-eastern-born private eye... in both books and film...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:23 pm

N.B.Yomi
Private E-1

Postby N.B.Yomi » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:07 pm

TerryRodgers
Site Admin