Science Fiction and Extraterrestrials

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Alienscifi
Private E-2

Science Fiction and Extraterrestrials

Postby Alienscifi » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:47 am

If anyone here is a science fiction writer, I'd like to talk with them about their works in science fiction as well as their world building or alien creations. I've recently considered visiting a pair of museums, a biology and natural history museum for developing extraterrestrial organisms. And an Air and Space Museum for designing spaceships. With space travel, I point of the difference between Warp Drive in 4 Dimensions and Hyperdrive in 11 Dimensions. This is one of many concepts I work on.

TNE
Private First Class

Re: Science Fiction and Extraterrestrials

Postby TNE » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:23 am

This is just a couple of tips on creating extraterrestrials:

1.Think of animals you admire or like and combine them to form a Evolution 2.0 if you will.

2. Have an idea what this species is going to be like. Are they fearsome, backwoods, diplomatic. These traits can help you define the image you are looking for.

3. Really consider why they look the way they are. Why do they need a glowing antennae on their head? (Personally so I can read in my bed without having to reach over to turn off the light. LOL)

4. Although you usually are looking to make a superior species to just plain look awesome and cool but you also want to consider their strengths and weaknesses. This makes them more human in nature if that's what you're going with and can help connect readers with your alien characters. Like if they have sensitive skin and are not suited to a desert planet. Or they have cold heart and need to stay warm to keep from freezing over.

5. Just search images like concept art on the internet. Just looking can give you some crazy ideas.

Return to Conversation question