[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Reading to Write Better : Conversation question • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Reading to Write Better

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
ThaddeusWI
Private E-1

Re: Reading to Write Better

Postby ThaddeusWI » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:17 pm

Life is too short, so my advice would be it's ok to tell the book "I'm just not that into you".

Yes spinach is good for you and there are benefits to eating it, but it if you can't down it without gagging maybe Brocolli's more your speed--and equally good for you!

BamaKimber
Private E-1

Postby BamaKimber » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:42 pm

I agree with you Thaddeus (and I hate spinach!!) Right now I am reading lots of YA fiction, but I love mainstream fiction as well. I want to write a YA paranormal science fiction romance, so I have been reading oodles of alien books, too. I think we get bits and pieces of everything we read and do in life. I think it makes our writing better.

Billie Bowman Daddario
Private E-1

Postby Billie Bowman Daddario » Sat May 24, 2014 5:35 pm

I love to read, but I never push past the first 2 chapters. When I read to improve my writing I read Pulitzer prize winners not necessarily best sellers. I let the Pulitzer Prize determine a classic worth learning from. ;)

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun May 25, 2014 1:07 pm

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Brien Sz » Mon May 26, 2014 6:04 am

Generally, I have little issue dropping a book if it isn't working for me. However, I am pushing through Stephen Coonts's, Saucer-Savage Planet. IMO this is some of the worst dialogue writing I have ever come across - clichéd, childish, laughable. I went on Amazon to read reviews and people love it. I honestly can't understand how. The book is quick paced and Coonts is economical with his descriptions that allows me to visualize the setting without painting every bark on the tree but the conversations are just so.... BUT he is a highly successful author so I have to tip my hat and admire the fact that he knows what he is doing as far as appealing to his audience. I am trying to figure out the nuance of why this is as successful as it is.

When it comes to reading to write better, I am a believer in reading a variety of genres. You never know what style points may emerge that you can gleam from or inspire an idea.

opheliaslost
Private E-1

Postby opheliaslost » Wed May 28, 2014 6:18 pm

Would you write a book you wouldn't read? If you can't push through the book you're reading, don't. However, I feel that it is important to read widely, so challenge yourself, see if you can't get into something else.

cosivantutte
Private First Class

Postby cosivantutte » Fri May 30, 2014 1:56 pm

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Brien Sz » Fri May 30, 2014 2:41 pm

It isn't awesome at any time. It isn't a good book in my estimation but it obviously works for a significant segment of the reading population.

Previous

Return to Conversation question