writers' dreams

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
LMGilbert
Lieutenant

writers' dreams

Postby LMGilbert » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:27 am

Recently I've been having dreams without a lot of visual images and action. No people, places or things. Just words. It's hard to pin down, but if I'm remembering it right, it's like seeing a page of words really close up, and a voice (which I can't quite place, is it me or someone else?) reading the words, or maybe other words. What the hey?

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: writers' dreams

Postby Jowen » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:53 am

Weird, Lori. But I bet it's your muse who has so much to say, she doesn't want to waste time sleeping.
[imge=3509-3]

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:11 pm

Dreams are either suppressions or obsessions. You might be hiding something, lying to someone, trying to disbelieve something about someone or you might be obsessed about something, which manifests itself in your dream. I've read that dreams reflect our true personality. If you're afraid of cockroaches and feign bravery to impress your girl, you might have a nightmare of crawly insects. If you're looking up to a JLo concert, she might come as a blind date in your dreams.

As for words, let them be as they are. Overthinking can stress you for no reason.
Have a nice day

emersonkelly
Private E-1

Postby emersonkelly » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:00 am

If we keep more concentration on any thing then it is obvious that it will come in dreams...writers keep on thinking and writing so they will be getting words in their dreams!! :lol:

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:08 am

Hey Lori, I'm with Jowen on this one. I think, maybe, your muse is priming you for something really big! Let's hope so. Let us know when it happens. I'm a great dream watcher for myself, because I've had so many come true. Good luck.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Postby Elibet1 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:49 am

Any chance you are in the middle of NaNowrite? :mrgreen:

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:49 am

For fun, I Googled dream interpretation, and here are some of them:

Writing
Writing is a means of communication. In dreams it may be a symbol of communicating with others, but it mostly represents communication with oneself.
>>> http://www.dreamloverinc.com/w.htm

Writing
To dream of writing, or to see another person writing in a dream, signifies a need to listen to one's inner voice for advice on dealing with a real life situation.
>>> http://www.myjellybean.com/dream-dictio ... riting/pdf

Writing
You have a creative writing ability. See writer.
Index <> This page: Wooden - Writing ...
>>> http://www.dream-analysis.com/dictionary/page96.htm
[imge=3509-3]

Return to Conversation question