[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Are All Wriers Introvert.. : Conversation question • Page 4 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Are All Wriers Introvert..

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Are All Wriers Introvert..

Postby mammamaia » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:18 am

i'm actually extremely accomplished at extroversion, but prefer hermithood!
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:23 am

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:41 pm

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:24 pm

I think much has to do with individual personalities and interests, rather than being labeled introverts or extroverts. Early in life I discovered I am not comfortable around party animals. Hearing about someone's drunken escapades here, or when they got stoned there, is of no interest to me so I avoid such people in social situations. My first marriage failed because my husband was a gregarious party lover and mixed with like people. He was totally bored with the domestic scene. Being of a quiet, serious nature, I gravitate towards people who are similar and have shared interests. My second husband and I are very much alike, making for a comfortable, stable relationship. Although I do love to travel, meet new people and have new life experiences (you should have seen me whizzing around driving a bumper car with my grandson for the first time this year :D ), I love the quiet peace of my own home. But I do not consider myself an introvert because of it.
[imge=3509-3]

Basie
Private E-2

Postby Basie » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:35 pm

I don't know how any past or present edition of DSM defines introversion, but it's guaranteed that among the professionals using this as a diagnostic tool, it is still subjective, open to interpretation.

Writers need to spend time alone. Of course, that doesn't mean that all writers are introverts. For some, the writing life and a personal penchant (or temperament) for being alone is a match made by the universe. I can't imagine how someone who doesn't like to be alone (or can't keep their own company) struggles to write. It must be stressful.

Introverted or not, it helps a writer to spend time alone, IMHO, even when they are not aggressively writing. But like the hardship that faces the extrovert to confine themselves, it must be agonizing for the true introvert, who writes, to force themselves into the world. For they must. Even if they were born with gifts of keen observation and insight. The world changes. With it, people. (Now I'll take the argument against this to state that no one can write a good novel about ancient Greece because....)
Writing is excessive drudgery: it dims your sight, crooks your back, twists your stomach & your sides....Three fingers write, but the whole body labours. ~Eighth Century Scribe~

mokingjay
Private E-1

Postby mokingjay » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:51 pm

It isn't simply introvert vs extrovert. One way to learn more about this is by taking the Meyer Briggs personality test. I learned tons of stuff from reading up on my type, (INFJ)

As and INFJ I am a true introvert, and take energy from being alone. But because of my interest in humans, many people think I'm an extrovert, though in reality I confide in very few people. This is very true.

I really recommend this test for people who haven't taken it before. It is a little terrifying how accurate it can be. :)
"We must not look at goblin men, we must not buy their fruit. Who knows upon which soil they fed their hungry thirsty roots." `Christina Rosetti

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:45 am

Have a nice day

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:15 am

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:32 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:13 am

i've been fond of hermithood ever since i finished raising my 7 kids and could get off on my own... 'alone' isn't lonely for me, it's BLISS!

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question