[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Are All Wriers Introvert.. : Conversation question • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Are All Wriers Introvert..

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: Are All Wriers Introvert..

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:50 am

Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:04 am

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:06 am

Extroverts do not necessarily have "good social skills," in fact I've met many who have extremely poor manners (too loud, overbearing, domineering, interrupting, etc). Introverts often have excellent "social skills" including a very important one, being a good listener (excellent trait for a writer by the way). Also taking our time and thinking carefully about what we are going to say... while extroverts tend to "think aloud" and often say inappropriate or regrettable things in a social situation. In fact, I know an extrovert who has lost most of his friends through this very flaw. And I know introverts who maintain positive, long-term connections with friends, mainly because they do not drain other people's energy by indulging in hour-long phone calls where all the talking is on one side.

Are all writers introverts? No, but if you are, work with your own qualities & don't worry about what the so-called experts say a writer "has to" do or "has to" be.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:09 am

Yep. I agree with the two ladies above me.

I think it's way easier to talk to strangers than to talk to people I know but am not friends with. Genuine friends are easiest to talk to, but second is strangers. People I'm forced to hang out with every day but have nothing in common with are the hardest for me to deal with.

The reason some introverted writers like going to conventions is because writing is something they're passionate about. They have something in common with the other participants. I love horses, and I enjoy doing horsey things with horsey people, even if it exposes me to large groups of people (but two years later when I see a horse and rider at a horse show, it'll be the horse's name I remember). I love traveling and meeting new people. I have conversations with people in campgrounds and in parks and stores and take in all the stories and details my mind can hold. I remember everything these people tell me, because I usually do more listening than talking. But at the end of the day I'm ready for them to go away. As contrast, my extroverted husband would move them in with us and never let them leave. He won't notice when they're trying to get us to leave either. They'll be putting on their jammies and brushing their teeth, and he won't get the hint. So there are downsides to BOTH personalities.

Your average introvert doesn't shut himself away from the world (read Jaus's second post in this thread), but they do try to shut out the parts of the world that make them miserable. And I don't really think that's so different than extroverts. An extrovert is not likely to take a job on a lonely island, studying slugs, because it would make him miserable. He wouldn't seek out a sheep herding job in the Alps, because it would make him miserable. He wouldn't explore the Arctic, just him and his dog... So leave the introverts alone, I say. There's enough room in this world for all of us. But give the introvert a little elbow room, please.

And yes, James, introverts can fake it when they're among strangers. If you're not thinking of agoraphobics, you're at least thinking of the extreme side of the introvert spectrum.
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:20 am

Oh, I thought of another point (so much for this assumption that introverts don't socialize, huh? ;) ) Introverts are more likely to sit at a party talking and listening to a small group of people tell their stories. An extrovert is likely all over the place. He's on the dance floor, showing off his moves. He's at the bar, hitting on all the women who pass by. He's jumping on stage and trying to steal the mic from the singer. Basically, he's talking over everybody and not really listening to anyone. So while the introvert is taking all this in, the extrovert, while he might actually be living it, isn't really picking up anything outside his own experience. So when he writes, he will only be able to write from one pov--his own.

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:21 am

Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:27 am

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:31 am

Last edited by louiseh87 on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:42 am

I agree. And I think that's what James was saying when he said most people are somewhere in the middle. But the myth that introvert means 'scared to leave the house' is just silly. Introverts simply need alone time to recharge. It's not a disease. ;)

Oh, and, to prove my point, you just said you may have a social anxiety disorder, but you still attend conventions and stuff. That's what I was trying to tell James!

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:46 am

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question