[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Are All Wriers Introvert.. : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Are All Wriers Introvert..

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Re: Are All Wriers Introvert..

Postby LMGilbert » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:31 pm

A parenting book called "Raising (or How to Raise?) Your Spirited Child" has a good section on identifying & defining introvert & extrovert traits. As updog mentioned, one of the biggest differences is in how we "recharge," and extroverts need to talk to people & "think aloud" to everyone in sight, while introverts find this more draining than anything, and get our energy from withdrawing. Extroverts are in the majority and so are considered "normal" (except for perhaps a few, ahem, extreme cases). Introverts, as a minority, are often criticized for just being who we are. If there are fewer of us, there must be something wrong with us, eh? It's very empowering, as laycrew did, to just acknowledge who we really are, and say no to all that extra socializing. One of our best traits is to be able to make decisions without having to consult with others or explain and justify to others why we're doing it this way.

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:33 pm

Updog, I totally don't understand how other people can't pick up on stuff like that. I know that I am just different. I try to teach my kids how to pick up on other people's needs but I think there is only 1 maybe 2 out of the 5 that get it. I am really good at gift giving and am sometimes disappointed in return but it's that hyper-awareness thing I have going on.
Politics are horrible because it gets to a point where it is all negativity and everyone is super-charged with emotion on whatever side of the fence they are on. I can't stand it.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:00 pm

It isn't a simple an introvert or extrovert. Most people have both tendencies, and writers most often fall into this group. Anyone who thinks most writers are introverts doesn't go to many conventions. Writers are usually the most gregarious people there. I know far more writers who love to get out, travel, meet and socialize, than I know writers who are shut ins.There's a reason conventions, workshops, and retreats are so popular with writers. They're a chance to get out of the house, travel, meet new people, and make new friends.

Most writers are simply people who enjoy being alone, working in isolation, but who also love getting out and meeting people, doing new things, etc.

If you don't get out, don't socialize, don't see new places, try new things, meet new people, what on earth are you going to write about?

Writers are tinkers, tailors, soldiers, spies, police officers, clowns, cooks, and you name it, and writers who can afford to do so are usually very well-traveled.

Very few people are all introvert or all extrovert. Most are right in the middle, and just lean a little bit one way or the other. And from the successful writers I've known, about the only time most writers are alone is when they're actually working. I love being alone. I love spending a month in the wilderness with no phone, and no other voice to distract me. But I love being with people, too. I love meeting new people, going new places, trying things I've never done before.

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:04 pm

I can tell you that I am not a hermit. ;) Somedays that sounds kind of nice though.

I don't think any of us have said that we don't go out and do stuff. Everyone does tend to have to be in the middle. But I believe everyone has a preference of one over the other.

Having 5 kids keeps me in a broad world of socialization that I am sometimes overwhelmed with. But that is because I am always on the go. I am not anti-social. I just don't need it like some people do. I am friends with lots of people but there are only a few that I tend to be really close to.

I love to travel but love doing so by car with my family. I love being away from my world of obligations. I met the most interesting woman from England this summer at the Grand Canyon. She is not the only person I met while I travelled with my kids this summer, just the one that really intrigued me the most.

All I am really saying I guess is I can totally relate to Jaus tail and updog.

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:53 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:12 pm

I wish there was a like button on this forum. I am giving you a thumbs up, updog.

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:47 pm

by LMGilbert
Extroverts are in the majority and so are considered "normal" (except for perhaps a few, ahem, extreme cases). Introverts, as a minority, are often criticized for just being who we are. If there are fewer of us, there must be something wrong with us, eh?

And it's this 'normal' tag that is so stigmatic. Once I bumped into a former friend and he says "I've heard you become normal." I immediately asked him "What do you mean?" and his reply is that "Well, I heard you're being more social now."

Never again did I spoke to that guy.
Socializing does drain energy out of me, but somehow I’m very good at mixing with people when I don’t know them. Once I know them and we’re on the verge of becoming friends, I tend to back out and feel awkward. It’s like my interest fades away.

by Updog

Truth is, you won't necessarily know an introvert when you spot them. We're very good at faking.

I completely agree with the good at faking part.

To Laycrew,

There was a time when I was oversensitive to stuff said about me. Like subconsciously trying to figure what the world thinks of me, now I’m trying to be indifferent.

To Mammamaia

Yup, majority of my thoughts are based on how boring this world is and how exciting it would be if,
a)The bus which takes me to my office crosses paths with a cocky actor’s SUV and he challenges a race, in which our eleven thousand kilo bus smashes his fancy SUV.
b)During the monsoon’s heavy rains, a lightning strike invites mutants from another dimension and a team is formed to save the Earth. The team needs a writer to devise a plan and lure them to a trap.
c)This forum is hacked by the MI6 or the Australian ASIS, they track me down and hire me into their team.

Dare any extrovert to think such. Relieved to know not everyone’s extremely social.
Have a nice day

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:15 am

Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:20 am

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:44 am

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question