[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
That queasy feeling you get.... : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

That queasy feeling you get....

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
LMGilbert
Lieutenant

That queasy feeling you get....

Postby LMGilbert » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:26 am

...when you wrote something that you think is pretty damn good and send it away somewhere (like WD Annual Comp, submitted back in April) and you wait and wait to learn what the response will be, then in October you see a story with remarkably similar elements (yet very different) submitted to a different WD competition and winning that competition. I've had this feeling before, but with visual art. I hope I don't have to experience it too often in writing.

What are your experiences of that queasy feeling? Are you able to shrug it off and move forward, or does it linger?

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: That queasy feeling you get....

Postby mammamaia » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:22 am

never had it, but you should 'shrug it off' and move on... let it linger and it'll only inhibit your ability to write...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

gesler0811
Sergeant Major

Postby gesler0811 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:04 am

I took a writing class in college and we would write short stories and make copies for the class and pass them out and review them etc etc etc

Every time I wrote a story it would turn out that somebody who went right before me would have written a story with eerily similar elements, plots, characters, etc. I was frankly surprised nobosy ever called me out and accused me of copycatting. It seemed to happen every time. I did get a creepy feeling. I imagine at least a little bit like the one your described. I still haven't forgotten it.

Lilly Starshine
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Lilly Starshine » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:27 am

Dude, sounds like you where writing a story somewhere in.....The Twilight Zone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I used to feels this sometimes about...,well,....everything. But the psychiatrist and the medication is doing wonders for me. Don't worry about it unless it starts happening all the time. Then you might want to see a head-doctor.

whatevertheyaint
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby whatevertheyaint » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:55 pm

This has happened to me twice. It isn't a good feeling at all. In fact, the first time, my writing came to a complete halt. I swore it off forever and feared that "quesy feeling" would creep its way back in if I wrote so much as a sentence. In the end, however, I had to let it go. You can't base your writing or your life on what someone else does or (in some instances) takes. If writing is a part of you, it is going to beg to come out via pen or keyboard anyway. Happy writing, and I hope that feeling goes away soon.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:01 am

Thank you for the validation, whatevertheyaint.

Return to Conversation question