[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Who is your favorite character in your own writing? : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Who is your favorite character in your own writing?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
UnicornBaby
Private E-2

Re: Who is your favorite character in your own writing?

Postby UnicornBaby » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:18 pm

Well, in the book that I'm writing, Key to the Secret Dreamers, in which I am only on chapter eleven in, I have created so many characters, the main character and POV is a stubborn, sarcastic girl named Aquirra Selene Jameson and i mean I love her to death, she is like a daughter to me, but she is just so rude sometimes. I mean I know I made her do it, but still there is no reason to hurt someone that has fallen in love with you just because you find them an annoying pervert. And Edelio, the one who is in love with Aquirra, is so kind, but really mopey. And strangely was inspired by one of my ex boyfriends whom I hate now. So moving on. John, Aquirra's father, is funny but so proper and always so guilty. Lucinda (Illumini), Aquirra's vanished mother, has only appeared in the prologue, in stories, and in mirrors. Hmm... Skipping over the novices. Dashelle, the Sandman's wife, is so kind and motherly even though she can't have children. But she's not my favorite.

Hmmmm.... I think I'm stuck between two. I love Oneiro the Sandman. I created him so whimsical and silly. He even has rainbow eyes!!! And then Aquirra's soul guardian, Razzle Pie, is so lovable with his unforgettable story and for the fact that he's a unicorn with a rainbow horn and starry blue eyes, he is definitely my favorite.

Oh, I love them all, even Darius, the antagonist, for I know his story. I hope I am not boring you with my confessions of love for my characters. I really need to get back on writing my book. Sigh, Aquirra has been sleeping for two weeks. She begins her journey to Pikeria tommorrow. And tommorrow is when I shall start writing my dear book. I will be traveling back to my wonderful Malbenocia tommorrow. :).

I really hope that I didn't reveal too much about my novel.
My heart is my totem, a blackened beating taunt that soaks the Page with its prevail. Its blood becomes my ink as I stab the Pen into it. I heave forward with my hollow chest, entranced in my decay, sorry to say, that I am a writer of Darkness now.

Anya Kylash
Lieutenant

Postby Anya Kylash » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:41 pm

My favorite character is the villain in my book.

#1 He committed genocide, wiping out his entire race, with the exception of himself, an old childhood friend, the friend's daughter, and a boy
#2 He imprisoned said childhood friend for seventeen years
#3 His actions caused said childhood friend's wife to die un-sheltered in a storm in childbirth
#4 He kills the people taking care and hiding the childhood friend's daughter
#5 Forces the boy to be his apprentice after the boy sees him holding his mother with blood on his hands
#6 Is somehow absolutely lovable and endearing

It's true! He's a mas murderer, yet you can see his point of view at times and see that, with a favorite quote from a favorite movie, "He's not bad; he's just drawn that way."
Finished:
Race Against Fate -101k words
Loyalties Lost -121k words
Forgotten -100k words
Friends and Foes -113k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:33 pm

I've been writing short stories, so my characters haven't been completely coloured in yet, but they're all there in embryonic form somehow. Two that I really dig, and want to do a lot more with, are an Ojibwa woman who is really into modern design, in particular the Finnish designer Alvo Aalto, and who is socially uncomfortable and not completely "at home" with any kind of identity that others try to staple to her; (sorry for the long sentence here) and a late-life breast-feeding mom who also has identity struggles of a different kind--- she's a hip, mod chick, very cool along the lines of Marianne Faithful, or perhaps a female Robyn Hitchcock, but she has road-salt-stains seeping up her groovy suede boots because of living in the North, and milk stains on her fash blouse because she keeps leaking. Her baby is named after Sid Barret of early Floyd days, that's what kind of woman she is. Other than that, there's a dog owned by a guy who is sort of a Thunder Bay version of Adrian Mole, but approaching middle age.

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:16 pm

I just love the MC and the relationship she has with her brother in my current WIP which is set in medieval time. The girl is a sassy red-head that happens to have some dragon in her which is part of the reason she is impulsive. I would much rather write about an impulsive red-head than put up with the one I have when she was in high school. But I love strong female characters that aren't afraid to be who they are. All of my young female MCs are like that by the end of my novels even if they didn't start out that way.

Anya Kylash
Lieutenant

Postby Anya Kylash » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:13 pm

Finished:
Forgotten -100k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:36 pm

Anya Kylash
Lieutenant

Postby Anya Kylash » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:20 pm

Yeah, I've got really bright red hair and that looks a lot like me, but changing the picture is a hassle. She's not half dragon, but she rides a dragon and they have a weird sort of relationship (unromantic).

Mine too. But all of them were sort of the little country girl stories. None of them were spirited, so I started writing this book about an awesome ginger. Then out comes Brave and all these movies about cool red-heads. Sometimes I think the world is out to get me.
Finished:
Forgotten -100k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:00 pm

Brave just about sent me into a tizzy! I was freaking out at how closely Merida resembled my MC. But the movie is really was well done and I still loved it. It still bothered me that her spunk was so similiar to my MC as well. I had another freak out over Daenerys in the Game of Thrones series because she resembles another character in my novel. I had to change that characters physical traits some because of that. I like the change in that character now. She is white, not caucasion white but powder white and her hair is white and black now. In fact my MC doesn't have all red-hair, she has streaks of blonde.

Anya Kylash
Lieutenant

Postby Anya Kylash » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:03 pm

I tried to read GoT, but after the third chapter with the Dragon boy trying to sell off his sister... just ew. But yeah, Brave for the win! Merida resembles my MC, but I added a scar to one of her cheeks and she's much different than Merida now.
Finished:
Forgotten -100k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

Previous

Return to Conversation question