[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Who is your favorite character in your own writing? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Who is your favorite character in your own writing?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Crono91
Lieutenant

Who is your favorite character in your own writing?

Postby Crono91 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:54 am

I have this theory that obviously we value and feel attached to our main character, but we don't necessarily view that character as our favorite in the story--mostly because the main character has more traits that resemble ourselves, versus the secondary characters.

So I was just wondering who your favorite character in your own story is? Mine is a secondary character, Vex, who gets more limelight than most of the other secondary characters. He's quiet--not shy, just wishes to control his words towards others--mysterious, and tough: but never shows more of himself than needed. He doesn't let anyone call him by his first name, only his last: Reses; however, the main character calls Vex by his first name, and Vex never seems to stop him.

Care to share?
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: Who is your favorite character in your own writing?

Postby shadowwalker » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:43 am

My favorite character was an OC in a fanfiction I wrote. Not only was Randy my favorite, but he actually 'scored above' the fandom characters with readers. Needless to say, with minor changes, Randy is the star of the original novel I'm working on now. Talk about using fanfic as practice! :D
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

max2011
Captain

Postby max2011 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:54 pm

in the YA novel I'm working on, my favorite character is the father of the MC teenager. He's got a shaded past and he tries to bond with his son to no avail.

Deb E
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Deb E » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:33 pm

My favorite characters in each of my books, have always been the side kicks. They have the most humorous lines and the most endearing characteristics.
Debra Easterling
www.debraeasterling.com

KlibanKatz
Private E-1

Postby KlibanKatz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:47 pm

My favorite characters tend to be the ones with the most baggage, often probably because they are the most complex and most entertaining to see run amok. In my long-standing fanfiction that I've nearly completed, it's my protagonist who has gone from pious and gods-fearing to drug-addicted, irreverent, power-hungry, violent, and has begun to hear voices. The dynamic shift in character has just been so much fun to write, especially from her first-person perspective.
In my most recent work-in-progress it seems to be Aleksander, who you might call "mercurial" to say the least. Perhaps it's more the way that my narrator, Leila, reacts to him that makes me enjoy writing his dialogue so much.
: Multimedia Storytelling by Maggie Katz

foodpoet
Private First Class

Postby foodpoet » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:43 am

I write poetry but I guess my favorite character is a series I am writing on a dream I woke up yelling oh no it's Aunt Matildas parrot - well a - I don't have an aunt matilda and b - no parrots either but I am having a blast figuring out who this aunt is and why everyone is terrified of the parrot so far 10 poems on the subject.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:38 am

probably the ship's captain in my short story, 'it's greek to me'... since he was lifted straight out of my life and all but the fantasy stuff in the story actually took place exactly as written, sex 'n all! :roll:

a close second would be the italian boat-racing world champion in my novel 'casa eva'... another one-time lover of mine [albeit briefly, and much more casually than depicted :( ]...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

whatevertheyaint
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby whatevertheyaint » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:57 pm

Pierre from The Twisted Retreat. He’s the epitome of “dream man”—Brazilian, tanned, gentle, with magic hands perfect for caressing fallen arches and tired feet.

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Postby LilliesCarol » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:44 am

Interesting question. I think my favorite character would be my grandmother. She could be tough as nails or gentle and caring. Married at sixteen to an alcoholic with what would now be called bi-polar, she faced many unimaginable tasks while running a 55 acre farm in the early 1900's. My grandfather killed himself by deliberately walking in front of a train on one of his daughter's tenth birthday. How does a mother deal with those two types of love? Her second child's birthday celebration and finding out your husband killed himself. I am still trying to turn this family history into a novel for it reads stranger than fiction, as truth often does. For six years before my mother passed on, I sat and asked questions, drew diagrams, hunted up old pictures, and had her tell me her memories of what it was like to be the oldest daughter of three living in that house. I've tried several times to begin, the novel, but still feel too close to the story to look at it objectively. I guess maybe I'd better do it soon, since time is ticking away. Any suggestions as to how I can jump start myself?
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

BornWriting12
Private E-1

Postby BornWriting12 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:43 am

It's a tie between Richard, a drunk from a short short I wrote in college and a female YA character yet unnamed who is the center of my YA
contest submission. I really need to find a name for her, I know.
I like Richard because he is the ultimate deadbeat - there is nothing happening for this man and not a single prospect lined up, either. He deals with this by passing out - again.
I like the young girl because she is really pissed about being violated in the story, but she's mad at the most unlikely person. She's ballsy.
"Bring all your intelligence to bear on your beginning." e. bowen

www.michellewilson.org

Next

Return to Conversation question