[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Grammer Question : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Grammer Question

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
davnick
Private E-1

Re: Grammer Question

Postby davnick » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:01 pm

I'm coming to the party rather late, and I apologize.

It's curious to me that in all the responses I read no one pointed out that "grammer" is misspelled. While I have absolutely no doubt that others noticed it, no one thought it important enough to mention. The word is "grammar."

I personally think it IS important. While there are so many aspects to writing, carefulness and attention to detail ought to rank relatively high. If we don't check and monitor our spelling, it begs the question of what else did we fail to check?

As to whether "who" or "whom" is correct in the sentence, "He is the photographer who/whom I killed last summer," the workaround of deleting the pronoun solves the problem but doesn't answer the question. And deleting the pronoun DOES sound better. But it's still good to know the rule as deletion will not always solve the problem. In this case, "whom" is correct. But there's a caveat to that. Though grammatically correct, "whom" can still sound stilted and pretentious. In informal speech, "who" would be acceptable.

The reason for "whom" over "who" is because it is in the objective case. In plain English, "whom" is the object of the clause "I killed." It would be the same as deciding whether to use the pronoun "he" or "him" in the sentence, "I killed he/him last summer." Our ear tells us that "I killed he last summer" is incorrect. Our ear would also guide us if the sentence were changed to, "He is the photographer who/whom killed a guy last summer." The correct choice is obviously "who" because the pronoun is now the subject of the verb rather than the object.

By the way, killing that photographer doesn't sound like a very nice thing to do. Did anyone SEE what you did last summer?

updog
General of the Army

Postby updog » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:05 pm

"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:01 pm

perhaps it was too vague a reference?... maybe davnik never heard of the actor named 'kelsey grammer'... ;)
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:04 pm

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:47 pm

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:33 pm

Whoa..super cool..thanks a lot man
Have a nice day

jcrow
Private E-1

Postby jcrow » Thu May 09, 2013 12:44 pm

The who/whom issue is really pretty simple to resolve. Here's how, using your sentence: "He is the photographer who/whom I killed last summer"

1. Make a stand-alone question out of the who/whom part. In this example, it would be "Who/Whom did I kill last summer?"
2. Answer the question with he/him. In this example, you would say, "I killed him (not he) last summer."
3. If you used the -m word in your answer, use the -m word (whom) in the question. If you didn't, don't.

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Mon May 13, 2013 1:09 am

i think it would be, who killed you and whom did you kill? right?
Have a nice day

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Mon May 13, 2013 11:00 am

ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Mon May 13, 2013 10:29 pm

I didnt kill anyone. though after reading a few of my earlier stories, the guy who invented english must've turned in his graveyard.
Have a nice day

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question