[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Grammer Question : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Grammer Question

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
jaus tail
Lieutenant

Grammer Question

Postby jaus tail » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:23 am

I have a doubt regarding verbs in a sentence which represent nouns that are in different forms as in one noun is singular and other plural.

Either the team members or the captain is/are going to have to make a critical decision

Two thirds of the students was/were against the hike in tuition fees

Also can anyone help me with the proper sentence here:

He is the photographer whom I killed last summer
He is the photographer who I killed last summer
Have a nice day

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Re: Grammer Question

Postby louiseh87 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:14 am

He is the photographer I killed last summer .

:)

The other two examples both use the plural version, e.g. two thirds were. You are referring to plural objects anyway, because the captain and the team members together make a plural. It would be the same if you were referring to the captain and a single team members: The team member and the captain are going to have to make a critical decision.
Louise :)

---------------------------
- where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:01 am

Either the team members or the captain will have to make a critical decision
...that takes care of any confusion and reads better, in the bargain...

Two thirds of the students were against the hike in tuition fees

He is the photographer I killed last summer.

'K.I.S.S.!'
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:23 pm

Thank you..now all I have to do is find a photographer cocky enough to flirt with my ambitious girlfriend. I then pretend to visit my family and stay at their place for a few days. My lover and her lover end up fooling around in my absence just as I thought forcing me to shoot them. Then five months later on my wedding with a girl three times richer than me I wait to open the presents from my friends. Anonymous Red envelope..Oooh! What could that be? Sweat appears on my forehead and as it trails down I feel getting coiled by a python all prepared to strangulate my life. I tear open the envelope and inside is the photo of the photographer I killed last summer.

Thanks again. The KISS idea is nice.
Have a nice day

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:20 pm

That was interesting. I love the story line Jaus Tail. Keep us informed of your progress.

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:32 pm

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:08 am

in the first example suggested, 'one of' has to be added before 'the team members' to make the sentence grammatical and make sense...

in the second, 'are going to' is a major problem and needs to be changed to 'will have to' for it to make good sense...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:39 am

Thanks a lot for the help. This forum has certainly improved the technicality part of my writing. I learned the POV rules here, the holy 'less is more' law, annoying grammar nitpicks, smart sentence structure and hopefully have even given something back to a couple of writers from my critique. Even the scuffles taught me something. It's been a nice ride.
Thank you...
Have a nice day

UnicornBaby
Private E-2

Postby UnicornBaby » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:59 pm

My heart is my totem, a blackened beating taunt that soaks the Page with its prevail. Its blood becomes my ink as I stab the Pen into it. I heave forward with my hollow chest, entranced in my decay, sorry to say, that I am a writer of Darkness now.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:10 am

Next

Return to Conversation question