[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Devising A Good Ending : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Devising A Good Ending

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
cynfranks
Sergeant

Re: Devising A Good Ending

Postby cynfranks » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:22 pm

[/quote]Wow, did you hit the nail on the head for me. Right now I'm struggling with an ending to my current WIP. I think mainly because I tend to write off-the-cuff and don't have an outline to point me toward the final chapters. I'm also not sure how to put the vital pieces together so I can draw an exciting conclusion. I'll have to go back and read everything in order to accomplish the task.[/quote]

If you keep writing, an ending with present itself. Occasionally you get that one that just won't end and if that happens, you need to look at the set-up and characters and ask what is the biggest road block? I usually run into this with short stories and it's usually because the relationship between the main character and another character is to complicated for a short piece. Often if I make a few changes to one of characters and simplify things an ending pops right up.

In playwriting we used to say; status quo, some thing happens, things get messed up, something happens, new status quo.
Ask yourself, "What would Dickens do?"

Previous

Return to Conversation question