[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Devising A Good Ending : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Devising A Good Ending

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Truegho
Private E-1

Devising A Good Ending

Postby Truegho » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:33 am

I love writing, but must admit that sometimes I sweat buckets over coming up with a good ending. Do any of you suffer similar frustration in trying to arrive at a suitable conclusion to your short story or book? Do you write the ending first?

It's very easy to start a book; unfortunately, it's very hard to finish one satisfactorily.
Truegho

max2011
Captain

Re: Devising A Good Ending

Postby max2011 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:01 am

I usually suffer through the little details needed to get to the end. I have a beginning set and where I want the MC to go, but those in between scenes really do me in.

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:09 pm

i don't have any trouble with endings... or beginnings... middles take the most time and figuring-out, but still not usually a major problem...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:15 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:33 am

I believe good stories end right where they start. Story structure is usually linear, but it's also circular. It is, in fact, almost always circular, despite hos the parts are put together. The ending of a story comes when the story circles back to the opening, much like a snake biting its own tail.

In other words, when you write a properly structured opening, you have written the ending. Trouble with endings usually comes because there's something wrong with the beginning. If, right there in the first chapter, you set up the problem to be solved, and/or the question to be answered, the ending should be inherent. The story should circle naturally, come back to the beginning, and when the snake bites its own tail, the problem has been solved, and/or the question answered.

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:04 pm

Wow James, that's so true. I wonder why I forgot that. I guess I have some revising to do....again.

kamalayka
Private E-2

Postby kamalayka » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:21 pm

My method for devising an ending is simple:

1.) Analyze the story for as many themes as I can find.

2.) Formulate a scene that ties them all together, with deference shown to the main one(s).

It helps to think of themes as threads that weave through a story, and the ending as the place where these threads twist together to form a rope.

It also helps to "echo" some sort of item or setting or situation or phrase or whatever from the beginning. This creates a sense of cohesion.

kamalayka
Private E-2

Postby kamalayka » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:06 pm

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:48 pm

I'm like Maia, I pretty much know the beginning and end and just work through the middle making sure I add tension. Many new writers forget about the middle and tend to leave it flat.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:08 pm

J.C. Oates wrote something like: I don't know what my beginning is until I have an ending.

I don't know if I can write a story if I don't have some idea of an ending - - though that ending might evolve as the writing progresses.

Next

Return to Conversation question