[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Too Much Slight Bad : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Too Much Slight Bad

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
jaus tail
Lieutenant

Too Much Slight Bad

Postby jaus tail » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:28 am

Does too much writing/reading/imagining/creativity remove the roughness you had once???
Have a nice day

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Re: Too Much Slight Bad

Postby mammamaia » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:40 am

sorry, but i can't figure out your question...

what 'roughness' are you referring to?... personality-wise?... or lack of 'smoothness' in one's writing?

and what would be 'too much'?
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:48 pm

I'm not sure what you mean, either, but there is no such thing as too much writing or too much reading. The more you read and write, the better.

kankowitz
Sergeant

Postby kankowitz » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:25 pm

KarenRankowitz (I am not 'kankowitz'...that's disgusting!)
Joined Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:54 am (new forum format messed this up a bit)

http://montville-ct.patch.com/users/kar ... blog_posts
http://www.excursionzmagazine.com/

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:23 am

I mean when you read/write too much you tend to become more technical/monetary. Its like even after becoming successful the first story remains your favorite child. Example: you start off with a prison escape scene. you do research on different kind of prisons over the years, the torture techniques evolved from inflicting physical pain by beating with iron batons while making the convict lie on an ice slab to Korean torture. You read jail break techniques, try to extract jail vocab from the internet etc etc etc.

But had this been your first story you'd probably have written a naive, original escape without any 'research'
one turns out to be awesome while the other 'awww'
Have a nice day

rosebud
Major

Postby rosebud » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:22 pm

If I'm reading your writing correctly, I'd say the answer is no. Even that first favorite child grows up and sprouts new adventures and problems. After you have that second, third and so on child, you begin to realize that you can love them all differently yet equally, even though it doesn't always seem that way. Keep reading, writing and researching and you'll see the improvement with age and experience. Make sense?

jaus tail
Lieutenant

Postby jaus tail » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:53 am

Yup. I enjoy writing and when some stranger says 'I enjoyed it' it makes me feel nice and for that stranger to like it I must write more reader friendly and for that I need to read, research, write and be happy.
Have a nice day

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:33 pm

Return to Conversation question