Violent contest submission

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Derfdan
Private E-1

Violent contest submission

Postby Derfdan » Wed May 02, 2012 11:09 pm

I've been exploring the forums, and it seems that people are mostly against violence in stories, even if it is relevant to the story. I was thinking of entering the annual contest, but do you think a violent story would even be welcome?

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: Violent contest submission

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri May 04, 2012 1:07 pm

I haven't noticed most being against violence in a story. If it's true, it's a poor criticism. Good short stories are about real life, and we live in an extremely violent world.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Fri May 04, 2012 1:32 pm

I'd say the opposite is true, "people" or "everybody" or "they" all seem to want more violence for their buck these days. When was the last time you read a book or watched a movie or played a video game that didn't feature violent scenes?

Elibet1
Lieutenant

Postby Elibet1 » Sat May 05, 2012 12:42 pm

I was shocked that two violent short (flash) stories I'd written were so well received. I'd never written anything that
contained violence before and thought I was going to get hammered for them, but, like I said, they were well received.

All the best with your decision,
Elizabeth

Ultimate Cheapskate
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Ultimate Cheapskate » Sat May 05, 2012 1:05 pm

I think in terms of entering a contest, where, I'm guessing, your work will be judged by other writers or publishers, the only real issue with violence, or sex, or profanity is likely to be whether or not it's gratuitous. If it is, then you'll rightfully be criticized for it. In terms of writing for the general public, I'm not convinced that most people even recognize the difference or care either way any more.
- Jeff Yeager --- http://www.UltimateCheapskate.com
Author, "The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches" and three other fine-but-cheap books published by Random House
NBC TODAY Show's Ultimate Cheapskate
Blogging at AARP.org

Return to Conversation question