[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Banned--Or Simply Shunned? : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Banned--Or Simply Shunned?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
writer78
Private E-2

RE: Banned--Or Simply Shunned?

Postby writer78 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:32 pm

"Has our country reached a point where people cede to the radical right because they know the right will fight them?"

I don't think that's fair. Borders carries thousands of books that all kinds of people disagree with - stuff too racy for the right, stuff too religious for the left. There just isn't enough evidence to say that this was a politically motivated choice that Borders made.

Besides, there's no call to label anyone radical, especially in a case where it's not been established that politics was even a part of the decision.

mrswriter_tutor
Private E-1

Postby mrswriter_tutor » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:16 pm

I agree with those that say a bookstore has the right to choose which books it will sell. I think the author of Pop! might need a little wake up call. I think the author is showing her naievete when she's surprised that a bookstore won't sell her book---and maybe, she doesn't understand teens, as well as she thinks she does....

chelly
Private First Class

Postby chelly » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:55 pm

As a writer, I would like to think that it is not right for them to banned a book. It could be their lose. I guess it depends on the book store, if it is a large chain than no. Smaller book stores I hate to admite --yes.

tedmag
Private E-1

Postby tedmag » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:37 pm

I agree with the poster who implied Borders has an image to maintain and thank God there still are family rated business. This is why the MPAA has gone to rating movies G, PG, PG-13, NC-17, R. Perhaps bookstores could follow suit. Disclaimer: I didn't like Nabokov's 'Lolita' either.

Capitalist_Pig
Captain

Postby Capitalist_Pig » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:09 am

Being a little closer to the age group in question here, I think a good deal of the posts here are severely underestimating a teen's moral capacities.

Most kids, if they are highly religious and/or value their virginity, won't bother to pick the thing up; there are plenty of others around to read, yes?

However, there are those who are in that struggle; but if the decision is on the back cover.. well, I don't know how that would effect them. It's all a judgement call.

Anyone remember the Harry Potter wars? I haven't seen reports of kids picking up witchcraft, though that may be because of shame or something..

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:44 am

Of course it's okay. The book was not banned. If it were, it wouldn't be for sale anywhere. It would, in fact, be illegal to sell it anywhere.

I have the right to write any book I wish, and I have the right to publish this book myself, and to personally pass it out or sell it to anyone who wants a copy. I do not, however, have the right to make anyone else publish it, anyone else read it, anyone else sell it, or anyone else display it.

A writer's free speech is not one bit more important that a bookstore's right not to hear or sell or display that speech. Banned is almost always a nonsense word used by "writers" who apparently need a better dictionary, and who must never have read the Constitution.

It constantly amazes me how everyone seems to know the Constitution guarantees the right to free speech, but almost no one seems to know that it also guarantees the right of freedom from speech.

Instead of supporting the Constitutional rights of others, they resort to such silly claims as banned.

writer78
Private E-2

Postby writer78 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:04 am

James, I think I love you. :)

Capitalist_Pig
Captain

Postby Capitalist_Pig » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:13 am

Georganna
Brigadier General

Postby Georganna » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:20 pm

Does Borders carry every other book that has been published? 

I think not.

Chryse
Private E-1

Postby Chryse » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:54 am

I am curious as to whether customers were demanding the book be stocked. I still think that book buying should be like any other business. If people aren't interested in buying it, why should they sell it? Personally, if I heard a book that I wanted to buy was banned from a bookstore (and they were unwilling to order it for me), I would no longer buy from them and I would encourage all my friends and family to do the same. I refuse to have bookstores and libraries force their morality on me. Books are supposed to be about getting you to think, for goodness sake.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question