[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Blogged and Burned : Conversation question • Page 7 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Blogged and Burned

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Buttered_Toast
Lieutenant

RE: Blogged and Burned

Postby Buttered_Toast » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:50 pm

I blog. I don't think I have any readers. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I try to keep it about arm's length away from me, in terms of topics. It's stuff FROM me and not ABOUT me, I guess. I also read a couple blogs; sometimes I will even hit the "Go to random blog" button on Wordpress.com, just to be surprised (hopefully, in a good way). In any case, it is often a cathartic (sp?) experience. I can vent or express myself and also get some "writing" done, while I might not be doing so in other areas at the time. Keeps my fingers limber!

Perhaps we should start a blog-chain gang? Err...

naternewman
Private E-1

Postby naternewman » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:43 pm

I agree with you. Writing is a great outlet to express ourselves. But some blogs seem to be personal diaries. Diaries used to be personal and private.

sartini
Private E-1

Postby sartini » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:15 am

I tend to leave the personal tirades and negativity out of my blogs. Remember somewhere those pages can be cached. I also view my blogs as polite conversations I have with my readers albeit strangers to me. I wouldn't rant and rave to a stranger in person much less on a blog. I am keenly aware of the non-anonymity of the Internet.

Chris

Daylily
Private E-1

Postby Daylily » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:56 am

Hello writers--I am a new discussion member and a weekly blogger. I deposit my random thoughts on http://babyboomerswriting.blogspot.com and I am able to track the country that sends readers via Google Analytics. It is fascinating when people in South Africa and Brazil have checked out something I wrote.

My philosophy of blogging is that it is a totally different medium. It is neither a diary nor a journalism piece. I think of it as an online personal essay and I don't really worry about my opinion because at the worst, it fuels comments. In the end, I think a blog is really an article which can amuse, provoke, inform or soothe, and you can become a loyal reader or ignore it depending on its value to you. Blogs give writers a venue to unwind ideas and readers can be as selective as they please.

bobkalsey
Sergeant First Class

Postby bobkalsey » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:32 pm

To blog, or not to blog--that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The spams and errors of outrageous flamers
Or to type words against a sea of troublemakers
And by blogging harass them. To write, to post--
And more--and by a posting to say we LOL
The drivel, and the thousand virtual schlocks
The Web is RSS-ing to. 'Tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished. To blog, to tag
To tag--perchance to google: ay, there's the rub,
For in that screen of dross what dreams may bore
When we have surfed off this virtual space,
Must give us pause. There's lack of clicks
That make midgets of such large egos.
For who would bear the whips and scorns of comments,
Th' reader's wrong, the proud blogger's contumely
The pangs of despised prose, the ftp's delay,
The insolence of hosting services, and the spams
That sellers of erectile dysfunction cures doth make,
When he himself might his quotations take
Without accreditation? Who would Yahoo bear,
To blog and bore about a weary life,
But that the dread of something after hitting "post,"
The undiscovered typo, from whose shame
No writer recovers, puzzles the will,
And makes us resent those blogs we read
That others fly to, for reasons we know not of?
Thus readers do make cowards of us all.

adkmor4
Private E-1

Postby adkmor4 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:27 am

I'm of the same frame of mind as bobkalsey.  To blog or not to blog that is my never ending question.

I want to make sure I'm articulate and not just spouting at the mouth.  I've checked out enough crappy blogs to know what I don't want.  But I still fight with writing my very first blog.  I mean I have enough to say.  I want to bring my readers back by titalating stories so much that by the time I go to write I freeze up. 

Writing is my life and I can spend eight to ten hours just writing about absoluetly nothing, but than what have I accomplished.  

Question?  Should a blog have a theme, a particular thread?  Or should it just be willy-nilly?  Not knowing what my blog should look like is what has me standing in quicksand feeling that sinking pull and I'm struggling against my MIND.  I want to write but I don't want to look like an idiot just sitting on the computer not having anything better to do?

I want to have substance.

clee91
Sergeant First Class

Postby clee91 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:44 am

I've never had my own blog and I don't know if I ever will. I've survived this long without one and I know how people are. Yes, most definately they overreact. Has anyone ever had that happen here in the Writer's forum...besides me!

It's interesting how easily people are offended these days. It's like they're in search of something to be offended about. A blog just opens that door right up, step right in, I'm waiting for the burn.

I replied to a post just yesterday and someone got offended. You can always tell when someone has been rubbed the wrong way by the tone of their writing. Whoever came up with the blog must love fire !

Cindy

janet
Major

Postby janet » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:53 pm

I'm not sure I'm really in favor of blogs. they seem such an ego-trip. if an artist (writer, painter etc) has something to say or show, why not just have your own website to illustrate your work and let it go at that? I can't really understand people who write personal blogs for unknowing eyes to read. beats me.

janet

Viking
Corporal

Postby Viking » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:49 pm

aexombie
Private E-1

Postby aexombie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:27 am

i love blogging. i love reading other peoples thoughts preferrably of people who are as confused and aloof and honest as i feel i am. i have a private blog for a selective few to view. and another public. i'm not artistic enough or willing to pay for a personalised website yet.

blogs to me are another way of 'chatting' about things you can't say face to face or even through instant messenger. i can choose which conversation to start through leaving comments.

do people overract, definitely, that's why some bloggers should be as careful as they are when they send out submissions...target your blog to a targeted audience. there are so many blog sites to choose from just as there are forums to share your blog url at.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question