[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Do Looks Matter? : Conversation question • Page 19 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Do Looks Matter?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: Do Looks Matter?

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue May 08, 2012 5:47 pm

Jowen
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Jowen » Tue May 08, 2012 7:08 pm

I dunno, James. I never judge a book... and I would never buy, or reject, a book on the strength of the photo image of the author, but maybe it's a combination of association of ideas and my photographic memory. However he describes them, Spark's young male main characters always look like him in my head, which somehow gives them authenticity.
[imge=3509-3]

UnicornBaby
Private E-2

Postby UnicornBaby » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:07 pm

Well, I guess that in truth, looks do matter. Its human nature to be attracted to beautiful things. But I also think that in the publishing world, this sway towards beauty is more often pointed towards women than men. I've seen many 'not the best looking' male authors, but practically all female writers have at least a decent looking face. Woman are expected to be attractive, men are not. It really truly sucks, that in the writing world, in order to be a woman writer, you must have a pretty face, a great attitude, and a soaring talent in order to make it. It only adds more suspense to the factors that you may not be good enough.
My heart is my totem, a blackened beating taunt that soaks the Page with its prevail. Its blood becomes my ink as I stab the Pen into it. I heave forward with my hollow chest, entranced in my decay, sorry to say, that I am a writer of Darkness now.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:34 pm

M G Kizzia
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby M G Kizzia » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:54 pm

George Eliot? But that was in a different universe.
- Michael

The Fiction Side: The Storyteller http://mgkizzia.wordpress.com/

The Non-Fiction Side: Word & Spirit http://michaelkizzia.wordpress.com/

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:53 am

There are also writers such as James Tiptree Jr. "His" real name was Alice Bradley Sheldon. "He" wrote fiction very successfully for ten years before almost anyone knew "he" was really a woman.

UnicornBaby
Private E-2

Postby UnicornBaby » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:20 pm

My heart is my totem, a blackened beating taunt that soaks the Page with its prevail. Its blood becomes my ink as I stab the Pen into it. I heave forward with my hollow chest, entranced in my decay, sorry to say, that I am a writer of Darkness now.

UnicornBaby
Private E-2

Postby UnicornBaby » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:25 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:06 pm

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:21 am

I'd like to know what Suzanne Collins looks like. If I were writing (successfully ;) ) for a youth market, I would never reveal myself as the out-of-shape old lady I am. I think readers often invest themselves enough in the "make-believe" world of the novel or story they are reading, that they expect the writer to look something like the protagonist, and are disappointed when they see it's not so.

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question