Spam--Why?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Crono91
Lieutenant

Spam--Why?

Postby Crono91 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:36 pm

So, a question that's always on my mind.

Why do spammers come here? Their objective is to get people to click on their links; however, the population of WD isn't really that huge. It's like someone made a virus, and decides to go to a tiny town to disperse it. I don't really get the effort-to-reward appeal.

Shouldn't they be interested in more active places? With literal thousands of active users a day?
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

RobTheThird
Private E-1

Re: Spam--Why?

Postby RobTheThird » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:39 pm

> Why do spammers come here?
Because it costs them nothing but time, and their time is meaningless. If it weren't, they'd be at legitimate jobs.

Think about it. It costs them the same effort to send 1,000 emails or forum posts as it does to send 100,000. And more they send, the fewer of them that need to succeed to make them a profit.
In short, they have no reason not to send them, until such time as this forum starts working as it should.

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:15 pm

RobTheThird wrote:
> > Why do spammers come here?
> Because it costs them nothing but time, and their time is meaningless. If it
> weren't, they'd be at legitimate jobs.
>
> Think about it. It costs them the same effort to send 1,000 emails or forum posts as
> it does to send 100,000. And more they send, the fewer of them that need to succeed
> to make them a profit.
> In short, they have no reason not to send them, until such time as this forum starts
> working as it should.

I understand that, but my point was that time spent spamming us, is not the same as time spent spamming, say, PersonalityCafe. On PersonalityCafe, there are numerous amounts of users every single day, of varying diversity and interest. 5 seconds posting a post there, could yield, let's just say, 30 clicks before being taken down.

5 seconds posing here could yield, maybe one click before being taken down. WD is tight nit, with few users, most aware of the spam.

If they were smart, they'd use their time wisely, and go elsewhere.
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:29 pm

They send to random sites and the ones that keep accepting them - they keep sending to. That's one major reason to update the software here ASAP.

Return to Conversation question