Is this some sort of writer's block or....

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Farizkey16
Private E-1

Is this some sort of writer's block or....

Postby Farizkey16 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:12 am

Hi people,

I am currently confused about what is happening to me. This may sound weird, but this is what I feel.

So, briefly, English is not my native language, but I enjoy writing and reading in English more than my native language. I never enroll in any kind of English course, purely by myself (helped by mandatory school subject). Which went great for years until I started writing seriously last year. I kinda see quite a lot of gaffes and stuck with repeating sentences. That's when I realized that all this time I have been using some sort of template when I speak or write. Templates that I memorized for years by watching movies, playing games, etc. Which of course, impacts how I write.

I read a lot of anything and try to take note of every unusual word, which makes my vocabulary box quite fat. But I can't seem to use it.

Whenever I read books, I love how the sentence flow smoothly that it subconsciously create an image in my head. However, when I try to do the same thing in my writing, again, can't seem to do it.

I don't know if someone ever feel the same like I do, but this is somehow frustrating and I'd like to hear from many perspectives.

Thanks in advance

Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: Is this some sort of writer's block or....

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:38 am

Congratulations on writing so well in what is not your native language. I can't write in any language except English, but I have tried and know how hard it is.

As for your problem of converting what you see in your head into words on the page, I'm afraid I can't help you there. It's something a lot of us struggle with all the time, even in our native languages.

Good luck with your writing!
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

roda havet
Captain

Re: Is this some sort of writer's block or....

Postby roda havet » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:03 am

Unfortunately I think everyone has trouble with this. I myself have many ideas in my head and can't seem to put them on paper. But I have found the only thing that works is practice. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

Return to Conversation question